* Please delete me from your mailing list - Thank you
@ 1997-08-26  0:00 vijay
From: vijay @ 1997-08-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

----------

@ 1997-09-04  0:00 ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 1997-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

When you subscribed to this mailing list, you received a message asking you to
keep it for further reference about the list. The message has a subject of
"You are now subscribed to the INFO-ADA list", in this file are details of how
to manipulate your membership including how to remove yourself from the list.

I will paste the entire contents of this file below. (Did you delete it ? :-))

Your subscription  to the  INFO-ADA list  (Ada programming  language) has
been accepted.

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if this is the
first time you subscribe to an  electronic mailing list. If you ever need
to  leave the  list,  you  will find  the  necessary instructions  below.
Perhaps  more importantly,  saving a  copy of  this message  (and of  all
future subscription notices  from other mailing lists) in  a special mail
folder will give you instant access to the list of mailing lists that you
are subscribed  to. This may  prove very useful the  next time you  go on
vacation and  need to leave  the lists temporarily so  as not to  fill up
your  mailbox while  you  are away!  You should  also  save the  "welcome
messages" from the  list owners that you will  occasionally receive after
subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send  mail to  INFO-ADA@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU. This is  called "sending
mail to the list", because you send mail to a single address and LISTSERV
makes  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
(INFO-ADA@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU) is also called the "list address". You must
never try to send any command to that address, as it would be distributed
to all the people  who have subscribed. All commands must  be sent to the
"LISTSERV address", LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU. It  is very important to
understand  the difference  between the  two, but  fortunately it  is not
complicated. The LISTSERV address is like  a FAX number that connects you
to  a machine,  whereas the  list  address is  like a  normal voice  line
connecting you to a person. If you make a mistake and dial the FAX number
when you wanted to talk to someone on the phone, you will quickly realize
that you  used the wrong  number and call again.  No harm will  have been
done. If on the other hand  you accidentally make your FAX call someone's
voice  line,  the  person  receiving the  call  will  be  inconvenienced,
especially if your FAX then re-dials  every 5 minutes. The fact that most
people will eventually connect the FAX machine to the voice line to allow
the FAX  to go through  and make  the calls stop  does not mean  that you
should continue to send FAXes to  the voice number. People would just get
mad at you.  It works pretty much  the same way with  mailing lists, with
the difference  that you are calling  hundreds or thousands of  people at
the same  time, and consequently  you can expect a  lot of people  to get
upset if you consistently send commands to the list address.

You  may leave  the list  at  any time  by sending  a "SIGNOFF  INFO-ADA"
command to  LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU. You  can also tell  LISTSERV how
you want it to  confirm the receipt of messages you send  to the list. If
you do  not trust  the system,  send a "SET  INFO-ADA REPRO"  command and
LISTSERV will send you  a copy of your own messages, so  that you can see
that the  message was  distributed and  did not get  damaged on  the way.
After a while  you may find that this is  getting annoying, especially if
your mail program does not tell you  that the message is from you when it
informs you that new  mail has arrived from INFO-ADA. If  you send a "SET
INFO-ADA  ACK   NOREPRO"  command,  LISTSERV   will  mail  you   a  short
acknowledgement  instead,  which  will  look different  in  your  mailbox
directory. With most mail programs you will know immediately that this is
an  acknowledgement  you  can  read  later. Finally,  you  can  turn  off
acknowledgements completely with "SET INFO-ADA NOACK NOREPRO".

Following  instructions from  the list  owner, your  subscription options
have been  set to  "DIGESTS REPRO  MIME" rather  than the  usual LISTSERV
defaults. For more information about  subscription options, send a "QUERY
INFO-ADA" command to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU.

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list  of the  available  archive  files by  sending  an "INDEX  INFO-ADA"
command to  LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU. You  can then order  these files
with  a "GET  INFO-ADA  LOGxxxx" command,  or  using LISTSERV's  database
search facilities. Send  an "INFO DATABASE" command  for more information
on the latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested  version of  the  postings,  just issue  a  SET INFO-ADA  DIGEST
command.

Please note that  it is presently possible for other  people to determine
that  you are  signed up  to the  list through  the use  of the  "REVIEW"
command,  which  returns   the  e-mail  address  and  name   of  all  the
subscribers. If  you do not  want your name to  be visible, just  issue a
"SET INFO-ADA CONCEAL" command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU.