From: rdonais@southeast.net (R.E.Donais)
Subject: Re: International Algorithmic language
Date: 1997/08/22
Date: 1997-08-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

mobergru@oslonett.no (Rune Moberg) wrote:

>In article <dewar.872044458@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:
>>I bought a Sony Walkman a few weeks ago, and fast forward is marked <<
>>and reverse is marked >> (at least if I have PLAY written the right
>>way up -- I have now got used to holding the thing upside down :-)
>
>Perhaps you could sue them?

Since your question has little, if anything, to do with
programming, I can understand the confusion you must have
with the simple things in life. :->

My Sony has auto reverse.  The reverse button has an
indicator that changes between left and right white filled
arrow heads.  While the play, stop, and direction buttons
are labeled, the buttons marked << and >> have no other
markings.  The fast forward or fast reverse concept of these
buttons is controlled by the current state of the direction
button.  Regardless, they _always_ move the tape onto the
reel corresponding to the direction of their arrow heads.

I would guess that even if your Sony does not have reverse
capability, that the "fast" buttons would also move the tape
to the indicated reel.

The fast operation is appropriate, however the concept of
forward or reverse is one that you have applied and assume
to be fixed. Things will probably make sense once you remove
the blinders and shift your thinking from the linear single
threaded view you currently have of the world to the
multiple dimensions and subtleties of the real world.

Of course you could always purchase a product that is marked
to agree with your thinking. :->

    ...red

--
Support the anti-Spam amendment