* Re: How to install win32ada with Gnat ada95
@ 1997-08-16  0:00 ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 1997-08-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5t447f$hgj$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>, ssy@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au (Lawrence Yeo) wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I was wondering how to install win32ada which I downloaded and what is the
>uses of this particular software??  I was having problem installing it with
>my recently installed Gnat ada for win95.  Does it mean that with win32ada
>installed I can actually write a windows program with ada??
>
>Any help will be most appreciate
>
>Cheers,
>Lawrence

 You might want to look at some of the articles in GNAT-CHAT,
http://www.gnat.com/chat. There are a few articles discussing GNAT and
Win32Ada.

 Also, for you to get some more specific responses, how about giving some
information as to which GNAT, 3.04, 3.09 etc ? and which version of WIn32Ada
are you using ?

 I use GNAT-3.09-nt and Win32Ada_3.08 on Win95 and yes I can write and run
Windows programs but there are problems. Intermetrics, the WIn32Ada vendor, is
comfortable with GNAT-3.04-nt and Win32Ada, and clearly documents linking
problems with GNAT3.09-nt and Win32Ada_308. See
http://www.inmet.com/~mg/win32ada/win32ada.html

 Simon Knipe - sknipe@ktc.com

* How to install win32ada with Gnat ada95
@ 1997-08-16  0:00 Lawrence Yeo
From: Lawrence Yeo @ 1997-08-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

  RMIT University, City Campus                            \,`/ /
  Computer Science 2nd Year                              _)..  `_

 -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,.

--

@ 1997-08-17  0:00 ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 1997-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Lawrence Yeo) wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I was wondering how to install win32ada which I downloaded and what is the
>uses of this particular software??  I was having problem installing it with
>my recently installed Gnat ada for win95.  Does it mean that with win32ada
>installed I can actually write a windows program with ada??
>
>Any help will be most appreciate
>
>Cheers,
>Lawrence

You might want to look at some of the articles in GNAT-CHAT,
http://www.gnat.com/chat. There are a few articles discussing GNAT and
Win32Ada.

Also, for you to get some more specific responses, how about giving some
information as to which GNAT, 3.04, 3.09 etc ? and which version of WIn32Ada
are you using ?

I use GNAT-3.09-nt and Win32Ada_3.08 on Win95 and yes I can write and run
Windows programs but there are problems. Intermetrics, the WIn32Ada vendor, is
comfortable with GNAT-3.04-nt and Win32Ada, and clearly documents linking
problems with GNAT3.09. See http://www.inmet.com/~mg/win32ada/win32ada.html

Simon Knipe - sknipe@ktc.com

* Re: How to install win32ada with Gnat ada95
@ 1997-08-17  0:00   ` Lawrence Yeo
From: Lawrence Yeo @ 1997-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unknown@unknown.com wrote:
: In article <5t447f$hgj$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>, ssy@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au (Lawrence Yeo) wrote:

[deleted]
:
:  Also, for you to get some more specific responses, how about giving some
: information as to which GNAT, 3.04, 3.09 etc ? and which version of WIn32Ada
: are you using ?

I'm currently using gnat-3.09-nt of ada compiler, and as for the version of
win32ada, I'm not so sure about that.  I get the following line from the
readme file came with win32ada:

# $source: /home/harp/1/proto/monoBANK/winnt/top.read.me,v $
# $Revision: 1.2 $ $Date: 95/02/10 17:30:35 $ $Author: mg $

I don't think the readme file came with win32ada is helpful in term of how
to install it....  It says to run the setpath.bat from gnat and then run the
setpath from win32ada, but the thing is I can't find the setpath.bat anywhere
on my usr directory.

cheers,
Lawrence
   _/_/_/   _/ _/ _/  _/  _/_/_/ | Email : ssy@mailhost.net
  _/___/   _/ _/ _/  _/    _/    |       : yeoss@post1.com
 _/ _/    _/ _/ _/  _/    _/     | URL   : yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~ssy
_/   _/  _/ _/ _/  _/    _/      |       : minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~ssy
  RMIT University, City Campus   | "LIFE IS ALL ABOUT CHOICE"
  Computer Science 2nd Year      |

* Re: How to install win32ada with Gnat ada95
@ 1997-08-17  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1997-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5t447f$hgj$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au> ssy@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au writes:

>I was wondering how to install win32ada which I downloaded and what is the
>uses of this particular software??  I was having problem installing it with
>my recently installed Gnat ada for win95.  Does it mean that with win32ada
>installed I can actually write a windows program with ada??

Actually, every program you compile with GNAT for NT/Win95 is a windows
program. What you probably mean is a GUI (Graphical User Interface)
program. And indeed, to do this you need to install a binding to the
Win32 API used by Win95 and NT.

As to how install the binding, follow the instructions that come with it.

I would also strongly advise reading a book on Win32 (Win95) programming.

--

-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Consultant     | Team Ada

* Re: How to install win32ada with Gnat ada95
@ 1997-08-17  0:00     ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 1997-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5t6pa8$b1a$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>, ssy@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au (Lawrence Yeo) wrote:
>Unknown@unknown.com wrote:
> [deleted]
>I don't think the readme file came with win32ada is helpful in term of how
>to install it....  It says to run the setpath.bat from gnat and then run the
>setpath from win32ada, but the thing is I can't find the setpath.bat anywhere
>on my usr directory.
>
>cheers,
>Lawrence

Firstly I use Win32Ada_308.zip found at
http://www.inmet.com/~mg/win32ada/win32ada.html
rather then Win32Ada.zip

Ok, for GNAT-3.09-nt, I don't run a "setpath.bat" but I set my path to include
"d:\usr\bin" in autoexec. For any given compile session, (in a DOS window),
the compiler can find the GNAT Ada Inludes, but to use Win32Ada you need to
"set ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=/Win32Ada/src", "set ADA_OBJECTS_PATH=/Win32Ada/src" and
"set LIBRARY_PATH=/WIn32Ada/Lib". I have found that the GNAT system prefers
the UNIX style "slash" pathnames when there is more than one path that needs
to be searched. ie "LIBRARY_PATH=/Win32Ada/Lib:/SomeLibPath/Lib" and note the
colon instead of the semicolon. (Also note, I don't know how to express the
UNIX pathname if your Win32Ada is installed on a different drive from the GNAT
installation, but I know it is not an insurmountable problem)

With this setup you should be able to start compiling and using some the
Win32Ada features. However, I have found that some of the features are not
available due to differences between the MSVCRT and GNAT RT.

I have manged to compile and run the examples.

You might look at the GNAT Chat mailings, http://www.gnat.com/chat and look
for an article from Martin Carlisle in which he points to an IDE project that
he has devleoped using GNAT and Win32Ada.

Simon Knipe - sknipe@ktc.com