* Using MS Windows .RES files with GNAT
@ 1997-08-13  0:00 Norman France
From: Norman France @ 1997-08-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know how to get the MS Windows version of GNAT to link a .RES
resource file into an executable ?

I've tried passing them to GNATMAKE via the linker options but GNATLINK
complains that it doesn't recognise the file type.

None of the GNAT documentation I've got is specific to the MS Windows
version.

Can anybody help please ?

	Norman France.

* Re: Using MS Windows .RES files with GNAT
@ 1997-08-14  0:00 ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 1997-08-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bca815$60ac1080$61a2989e@adormal.demon.co.uk>, "Norman France" <norman@adormal.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Does anybody know how to get the MS Windows version of GNAT to link a .RES
>resource file into an executable ?
>
>I've tried passing them to GNATMAKE via the linker options but GNATLINK
>complains that it doesn't recognise the file type.
>
>None of the GNAT documentation I've got is specific to the MS Windows
>version.
>
>Can anybody help please ?
>
>        Norman France.

If you have access to a MS development tool, MSVC++ etc, it comes with a
utility called "cvtres". This utility produces an object file, ".obj",
from a resource file, (either ".rc" or ".res", cannot remember which) which
can be linked using gnatlink by including it on the command line. With
GNATMAKE, use the "-largs res_file.obj" (use your own res_file.obj) option.

If you don't have access to the MS utility, Cygnus (the providers of the GNAT
runtime on MS platform) has a utility called "res2coff" which is designed to
make resource files available to the linker.

I use the MS utility and don't know exactly where to find the "res2coff"
utility except to start at www.cygnus.com

Simon Knipe - sknipe@ktc.com

* Re: Using MS Windows .RES files with GNAT
@ 1997-08-16  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-08-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman asks

<<I've tried passing them to GNATMAKE via the linker options but GNATLINK
complains that it doesn't recognise the file type.

None of the GNAT documentation I've got is specific to the MS Windows
version.

Can anybody help please ?>>

I think you will find it more useful to you and others to send this kind
of very GNAT specific question to chat@gnat.com, rather than CLA. Those
who read chat@gnat.com will know that I frequently send messages there
suggesting that threads that are more general than GNAT be moved here :-)