From: Unknown@unknown.com
Subject: Re: Using MS Windows .RES files with GNAT
Date: 1997/08/14
Date: 1997-08-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <01bca815$60ac1080$61a2989e@adormal.demon.co.uk>, "Norman France" <norman@adormal.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Does anybody know how to get the MS Windows version of GNAT to link a .RES
>resource file into an executable ?
>
>I've tried passing them to GNATMAKE via the linker options but GNATLINK
>complains that it doesn't recognise the file type.
>
>None of the GNAT documentation I've got is specific to the MS Windows
>version.
>
>Can anybody help please ?
>
>        Norman France.

If you have access to a MS development tool, MSVC++ etc, it comes with a
utility called "cvtres". This utility produces an object file, ".obj",
from a resource file, (either ".rc" or ".res", cannot remember which) which
can be linked using gnatlink by including it on the command line. With
GNATMAKE, use the "-largs res_file.obj" (use your own res_file.obj) option.

If you don't have access to the MS utility, Cygnus (the providers of the GNAT
runtime on MS platform) has a utility called "res2coff" which is designed to
make resource files available to the linker.

I use the MS utility and don't know exactly where to find the "res2coff"
utility except to start at www.cygnus.com

Simon Knipe - sknipe@ktc.com