From: jcarley@magna.com.au (Jason Carley)
Subject: Re: Help with GNAT install
Date: 1997/07/02
Date: 1997-07-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On 1 Jul 1997 09:01:01 -0400, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
wrote:

>Phil Brashear says
>
><<Solution: Use the DOS "EDIT" command to edit gnatchop.bat.  Save the file
>and exit the editor.  Edit fixes up the line separators, so gnatchop
>should work like a charm.
>>>

>This has been discussed a number of times, both here and on chat@gnat.com.
>I strongly recommend that GNAT users looking for help subscribe to
>chat@gnat.com. A lot of knowledgable GNAT users willing to help others
>hang out there who do not feel they have time to read CLA (fancy that :-)

Thanks for the tip Robert.  I have subscribed and the list seems very
useful.

>Note: this glitch with gnatchop.bat is a perfect example of the kind of
>thing that we would like to avoid in a public release. Obviously this
>kind of thing causes no trouble to the small set of customers using the
>system. First of all, they mostly know what they are doing, so, like
>Phil, they can easily fix the problem themselves. Second, if they do
>have a problem, we can immediately fix it for them.

With respect, I don't know that a glitch in the system neccesarily
implies that I do not know what I am doing!  I have used Ada95
extensively.  My experience with GNAT under Win95 is not great
however.  Th fix is not exactly intuitive IMHO.

>But some user of the public version, often having got the system from
>a friend, often without any docuemntation at all, may be quite confused
>by such a glitch.

On the Walnut Creek Ada CDROM actually.  Please feel free to point me
to the section in the documentation sugesting a fix for this "glitch".

>Probably we should have waited an extra month or so, but it is always easier
>to make these judgments in retrospect rather than at the time :-)
>Anyway, we are going to try to make very sure that the 3.10 distribution
>is in good shape before the public release. So far, the experience with
>3.10a looks very encouraging, so we are hoping for a relativly early
>public release if all continues to go well.

Robert, I think that you are using my innocent query as a vehicle to
make a somewhat less than innocent point!  The issue is that there was
a problem with the release.  It doesn't neccesarily mean that 3.10
should be delayed! :-)

Regards,

Jason.