From: George Haddad <george.haddad@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Request for Ada Coding Standards
Date: 1997/08/18
Date: 1997-08-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael F Brenner wrote:

> Why ask people to standardize syntax instead of the things that
> make the code work? Why not ask people to:
[snip]

   We ask people to do lots of things. {Silly and otherwise  :-)  Just
ask anyone associated with DoD procurement of software.}  This
particular request is to facilitate my completing a particular task
involving coding standards.  The assignment for me to complete this task
to the best of my ability is not (regrettably or otherwise) vulnerable
to discussion.  (By which I mean that all the cogent, well-thought-out
arguments in the world as to why coding standards are "the tools of the
devil", will not in any iota of degree convince the fellow doing my
performance appraisal that I didn't really need to complete my assigned
task anyway.  :-))
I found these opinions on my doorstep, would you please give them a good
home?