From: Troy Noble <Troy.Noble@mci.com>
To: Gama Soetjipto <ojays1@cobweb.com.au>
Subject: Re: Looking for ADA on LInux.
Date: 1997/08/15
Date: 1997-08-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I use GNAT for Linux.  I usually get it from
http://www.gnat.com or ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat.

The 3.07 pre-compiled binaries that are there work fine on
my machine, which is Slackware '96 (I believe the relevant
system versions on my Linux box are kernel 1.2.13, gcc
2.7.2, binutils 2.6.0.2, libc 5.2.18).  If you have a more
recent distribution of Linux installed (like I have on
my other machine), like RedHat 4.2 or 4.3, you can
use the 3.09 pre-compiled binaries that are out there
on the same site.  I believe this requires elf Kernel
2.0.x or newer, gcc 2.7.2.1, binutils 2.6.0.2, libc 5.3.12).

Don't quote me on these versions, since I'm doing these
from memory.  See the readme's in the source
distribution for the exact information.  Just wanted to
save you time on downloads across the pond
if possible.  In fact, you may find a faster connection
to one of the mirrors listed at
http://www.gnat.com/mirrors.html

If you want some examples, you'll also want to
download gnat-3.09-src.tar.gz and unpack the
subdirectory gnat-3.09-src/examples.  Once you've
installed everything correctly, running
'gnatmake hello' in the examples directory should
build the hello world-type program contained therein.

Happy coding!

Troy

--

Troy Noble, MCI Commercial Internet Messaging
Phone: (719)535-3610  Vnet 622-3610