From: Mars Gralia <mars.gralia@jhuapl.edu>
Subject: Re: How I declare a 'mod' type within a record?
Date: 1997/08/05
Date: 1997-08-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Matthew Kennedy wrote, on (apparently) 27-July:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to implement a time-series type to aid in defference equation
> simulations. I would like to use a 'mod' type which would be an elegant
> way of cycling around the buffer (which is just an array).
(snip)
> Matthew Kennedy
> Student of Electronics Engineering
> University of Southern Queensland, Australia
>   "When will you realise your already there?"
>       - Marilyn Manson

a) I don't fully understand your specific application, but I have
   a good idea.  (I've done a bit of signal processing in my day.)
b) There is a data structure, often called a "ring" that will
   probably do what you need.  The primary references are:
   1) The theory: a text book, Grady Booch, "Software Components
      with Ada", Benjamin/Cummings Publishing, 1987, ISBN
      0-8053-0609-9.  (He also has a tape of code, but it you
      need to spend something like $500 (US) for it.)
   2) A package which seems to do the job is named on the page
      >  http://osiris.ipfw.indiana.edu/cs/cs260/labs/lab6.htm
   3) I hope to have an example for you tomorrow.

M Gralia, D.Sc.
mars.gralia@jhuapl.edu
Johns Hopkins University
Applied Physics Laboratory