From: "W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com>
Subject: Re: *LONG* DRAFT - Critique of "The lessons of Ariane"
Date: 1997/08/01
Date: 1997-08-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> > My essay is the only one I have read so far that ignores DBC and
> > testing issues. It proposes a much simpler software design goal that
> > might have prevented the crash and made DBC a moot point. Please
> > take the time to read it, and you'll see what I mean.
> >
> > ====== http://users.deltanet.com/~tegan/home.html ======

This "essay" rants against type casting, giving several examples.
Yes, type casting is dangerous, especially when it's "transparent"
(i.e., not obvious in the source code, as in C's promotions).

However, in all of his examples, the real problem was not the type
casting.  The real problem was what made the cast necessary, i.e.,
not declaring things of the appropriate type in the first place!

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be

Don't send advertisements to this domain unless asked!  All disk space
on fw.hac.com hosts belongs to either Hughes Defense Communications or
the United States government.  Using email to store YOUR advertising
on them is trespassing!