From: "Brian G. Holmes" <brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com>
Subject: Re: C++ To Ada95 Translator
Date: 1997/07/23
Date: 1997-07-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Ken asks
>
> <<... I'm interested if
> yours is for shareware/freeware purposes or commercial.
> >>

> And another interesting (and completely orthogonal) question is
> whether you plan to make it free software or not.

The cpp2anf translator was created for use by the company I work for on
a conversion effort that is also funded entirely by them.  When they
think of the tool, they do not think of the hundreds of thousands of
dollars that it _may_ save them, but rather they think of the tens of
thousands of dollars that they have already spent on it.  I am asked,
�can we recuperate any of the money that we have spent on that thing?�
As such, they are (currently) more interested in the commercial aspects
of the tool than the less obvious advantages of releasing it under the
GPL.

I would like to share/present my experiences with development of a
conversion plan, and implementation of a translation tool in a
conference environment, and I would also like to continue my work on the
translation tool.  The translator is already a useful tool, but most of
its limitations could be at least partially overcome.

We would like to offer our services to anyone else who is involved in a
C++ to Ada95 conversion effort.  We feel that we can be of help because
we have a conversion plan, and a tool that supports it.

Brian G. Holmes
brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com