From: Andrew Lynch <lynch@cci.de>
Subject: Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
Date: 1997/07/22
Date: 1997-07-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael Erdmann wrote:

> im trying to setup a  demonstration where the interworking between a  Java
> written front end
> which will be executed using netscape 2.02 under OS/2 and an ada written
> backend has to
> be demonstrated. Has somebody out there done something like this.

Hi,

we have just started investigating CORBA as a link between (possibly
multiple) Ada servers on Unix and Java clients. Unfortunately the
only product available for Ada appears to be IONA's Orbix. At the
CUC'97 in Munich a number of people told me it was hardly worth
considering (too buggy, too incomplete etc.). Also the Ada Orbix is
still based on the old CORBA standard, whereas all Java ORBs are
already CORBA 2.0 - ugh.
Has anyone had any experience with Orbix/Ada? Does it work? Is it
usable? Are there any plans to catch up with CORBA 2.0?

Cheers,
Andrew.

| Andrew Lynch, MEng /        lynch@cci.de | Run, run, as fast as you  |
| CCI GmbH          /       alynch@iee.org | can. You can't catch me,  |
| Lohberg 10       /lynch@ug.cs.york.ac.uk | I'm the gingerbeard man!  |
| D-49716 Meppen  / Tel. ++49 5931 805-243 |       .sig by Anna Gramme |