From: Samuel Mize <smize@link.com>
Subject: Re: String to Integer
Date: 1997/07/18
Date: 1997-07-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael F Brenner wrote:

> The best response to this was the list of topics to look up, given by
> Mike Brenner, not the actual solutions given by the others. Actual
> solutions should be available on the PAL, however, and should be
> referred to.
>
> Mike Brenner

Gee, I wish I had the gall to denigrate the work of other people
and laud myself in the third person.

Define "best."  Do you really think a topic keyword is more
helpful than a brief description?  Or do you consider a less
helpful reply "better" somehow?  It's not like we were asked
for a whole homework assignment, just a pointer to a language
feature.

Any code in the PAL converting between strings and integers
would be a pretty suspect example to learn from, since it's
manually duplicating a built-in language feature (83 and 95).

By all means, though, keep directing new programmers to learn
about Ada by dredging through the megs of code at the PAL, if
you consider that the best way to communicate basic concepts.

Sam Mize