* Meridian ADA problem with file handling
@ 1997-07-11  0:00 Paul Hussein
From: Paul Hussein @ 1997-07-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wonder if anyone may be able to help me with a problem I am having with
ADA code generated by the Meridian ( 32 extended ) Compiler.
When we try to transfer a file from the hard drive to the floppy drive on
our target machine (in code by creating a file on the floppy and copying
contents from hard drive file onto floppy ) we consistantly get file handle
errors on the 12/13th go ( copying the same file ).
We have swapped out floppy drives, floppies, and whole machines and written
the code to use both Meridian non-standard FILE_IO and DIRECT_IO and it
still fails on the 12/13 go.
Target Machine : Intel 486dx66, 1MB RAM, 100MB HD, DOS 5.0.

Have you been made aware of this problem before, or does anyone have any
suggestions ?

Failing that does anyone know where I can get some already written bindings
to C or some C and ADA that I can use to do a file copy in DOS.

Many thanks

Paul Hussein.
ECC Simulation.
Brighton.

* Re: Meridian ADA problem with file handling
@ 1997-07-14  0:00 ` David H. Haley
From: David H. Haley @ 1997-07-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Hussein

> Have you been made aware of this problem before, or does anyone have any
> suggestions ?
>
> Failing that does anyone know where I can get some already written bindings
> to C or some C and ADA that I can use to do a file copy in DOS.
>
> Many thanks

I just finished writing a Duke Nukem 3D Add-On Map Player using Meridian
Ada (v4.1.4) in the adaext mode, and I found that I had to use a
"work-around" when using this compiler with DOS.

Although my compiled code was only about 86K, I guess Duke Nukem 3d is a
real memory hog, because when I call the game from my program, duke
nukem 3d would always lock up.

The solution to this problem, and perhaps yours is to have your Ada
program create a batch file to copy your files. -- If you need some
source code for that, please e-mail me.

David