From: "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <nospam@gsg.eds.com>
Subject: Re: Use of 'goto'
Date: 1997/07/03
Date: 1997-07-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Mike linnig wrote:

> Spagetti code is bad, spagetti code uses gotos, therefore goto is bad.

A false conclusion from a false premise, even if you allow use of "pons
asinorum" (B, A=>B, therefore A). Spaghetti code need not use GOTO, and
some of the worst examples I've seen did not.

> I think training is a better way to make good code than arbitrary restrictions
> on easy to notice features.

<dws>But there's no money in the budget for QA and training; we've put
it all
into bug fixes, and don't understand why there are so many of
them.</dws>

> This raises the visibilty to the person responsible for
> getting the job done and 'teaches' the programmer that goto's are a construct
> that should not be used lightly.

IMHO *no* control sturcture should be used lightly; the programmer
should
understand what he is doing and why. Silly of me.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,
user smetz.