* Re: Ada95 Pretty-Printers/Coding styles
@ 1997-06-16  0:00 Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada)
From: Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada) @ 1997-06-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am sure I am going to be flamed for my opinions on pretty printers/
coding styles, however, that's life! :-)

I feel that enforcing strict coding styles on individuals is
unproductive and a source of irritation.  If a company really wants
to have complete 100% consistency, then a tool should be used to
generate company-approved code.  What's even more irritating is when
attending code reviews where most of the discussion is about spacing
and case of identifiers.  Argh!! This may be what is happening at my
company, however, I am sure it happens elsewhere.

Robert states: "Personally I would fire such a programmer,
but that is an extreme position, which many companies are not will to
follow, and instead they tolerate unnecessary variation".

I find this VERY extreme since we humans are not machines and cannot
be expected to work 100% in unison.  Not even the Borg has 100%
commitment among its ranks of automatons!  That is why I feel that
a filter (either a separate tool (Best) or a compiler switch (OK)) is
really one way to assure consistency.

Later...

Chris Sparks

* Re: Ada95 Pretty-Printers/Coding styles
@ 1997-06-17  0:00 Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada)
From: Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada) @ 1997-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert responded with:

> Thankyou Chris for giving a nice example of the attitude that I find
> unacceptable, and which we would not tolerate for a moment at ACT.
> It does not work at all to rely on pretty printing to solve the
> problem of divergent styles, because you still have people writing
> in their own style, and not being happy working on other people's
> code, so you get bad *code ownership* phenomena.

Well I can relate to this statement.  If a programmer isn't as
persnickedy (sp?)
as I am, then looking at their code can be a chore in itself!  The most
offensive Ada code I have seen have come from "C/C++" programmers who
are
forced to use Ada.  Yuch!

> Furthermore, style is much more than a set of mechanical rules wwhich can
> be enforced by an automaton, so you will never get realy consistent style
> (such as is achieved in the GNAT sources) by this approach.

Well you may have a point here.  I have seen your "sources" and found
them
easy to follow.  Your organization is as persnickedy as I am.  On no!
:-)

> To get a really cooperative environment, in which everyone looks at every
> one else's code and there is as little sense of code ownership as possible,
> it is essential that everyone buy into a common style. It is definitely
> possible to come close to the ideal of 100% working in unison, and it is
> a desirable goal.

We can abstract this concept a little further in that most programmers
will
code to a established well-defined (personal) style.  I don't believe
that
they would change their style continually in their software.  Once a
look-and-
feel has be attained, then most programmers stick with it for years.
Look
at the Ada 83 LRM's style.  I programmed in upper case for a long time.
Now
I can't even look at uppercased code.  I say to myself "Why is this
person
shouting?!" :-)  Anyway, your point is valid.  Maybe what I am so
uptight about
coding standards may not lie in the standards itself, but in the process
itself.

> I certainly understand Chris's attitude here, since I have run into it often
> before, and have seen situations in which companies tolerate this kind of
> insistance on personal style. Yes, you may regard my attitude's as extreme,
> so you probably would not like to come to work for ACT, but we have certainly
> found that lots of people get over their initial irritation at an unfamiliar
> style, and end up buying into it with enthusiasm (and the ACT engineers are
> all in this category!)

I am used to abiding to a company's coding standard.  I may like my own,
however,
I am paid to do what they want!  With regards to "coming to work for
ACT", I would
LOVE the opportunity to work for your company, coding styles and all.
:-)  I am a firm
believer that once we get past what is expected (code look and feel)
than we can get
down to some serious programming.  I always say that what is most
important is
the code.  If it isn't right, no amount of style is going to help it!

Later...

Chris Sparks

* Re: Ada95 Pretty-Printers/Coding styles
@ 1997-06-23  0:00 Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada)
From: Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada) @ 1997-06-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Geert Bosch wrote:

> In this case you should be extremely persnickety about spelling
> words correctly.

Maybe I am not a persnickety as I thought I was! :-)  Thanks for
correcting my spelling.  I didn't have a dictionary at hand.

Later...

Chris Sparks