From: Wes Groleau <no.such.user@does.not.exist.com>
Subject: Re: Ada95 Pretty-Printers/Coding styles
Date: 1997/06/26
Date: 1997-06-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> >b) capitalization in a use of an identifier must match the declaration
>
> This is interesting because the second example you give IS trivial,

Any pretty-printer or style-checker cannot enforce _semantic_ rules
like this unless it builds (in a library like many Ada compilers or
on-the-fly like GNAT) a multi-source-file symbol table.  When I used
Ada-ASSURED years ago, it was able to do what it did on a single file,
with no need to look at any other file.  Therefore, it could not do
the above.  A related example: The project had decided to use
Initial Caps for variables and constants, ALL CAPS for subprograms.
This rule was changed when Ada-ASSURED came along, because it could
not distinguish a function call from an array element.

PLEASE don't condemn the tool for what I just said.
It could have changed in 2-3 years, and besides, the
syntactic approach does have its own advantages.

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be
                    wwgrol AT pseserv3.fw.hac.com

Don't send advertisements to this domain unless asked!  All disk space
on fw.hac.com hosts belongs to either Hughes Defense Communications or
the United States government.  Using email to store YOUR advertising
on them is trespassing!