From: Spam Hater <no.such.user@no.such.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT exception traceback
Date: 1997/06/18
Date: 1997-06-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> __builtin_frame_address() does not take variables (I played with it to
> find this out :-).  And, on the Sparc, having the frame address does
> not give you the return address.

Oh.  Well, there you have it (or don't have it).

> > Someone gave me SPARC assembler that allegedly works reliably
> > when linked into a Verdix Ada program.  I am not at liberty to
> > release it, though, unless the originator reads this and says it's OK.
>
> I assume you mean a SPARC traceback facility :-).  Yes, there is a
> system call you can make under Solaris and SunOS to get this
> information; that is what I would expect it would use.  If on a
> real-time platform, you can lock out interrupts and do the trace
> yourself.  I have code for both of these, but they are both extremely
> slow.

No system call or any other call.  40 lines of assembler,
consisting of a little setup and a loopof nine instructions.
The originator also claims it's fast.  I didn't think to ask
whether it is Verdix specific.

> > With HPUX on PA RISC boxes, some C code I received from yet another
> > kind soul has worked reliably for me when linked into Alsys programs.
>
> It may be that the Alsys compiler only uses one type of return
> mechanism and it can be traced by reliably.  I worked and worked and
> finally asked HP; they told me (and pointed me to the place in the
> manual with the information) about the difficulty when using their C
> compiler.  GCC seems to do the same thing.

I should have said that I had also tested it in a _few_ C programs.
Perhaps I should try more.

> > Pentium with SCO Unix is one I haven't done, but would like to.
> > Note that I am not claiming any expertise, just stating what has
> > worked for me and others and making some wild guesses from that
> > (in hopes that folks like Corey will keep on pointing out the bugs
> > in the idea).
>
> SCO on Pentium should be easy, just the same as Linux on Pentium, the
> original code you posted will work.

Except that we may not always use gcc.  (Plus they've decided to drop
SCO and go to Windoze NT. Ugh!)

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be

Don't send advertisements to this domain unless asked!  All disk space
on fw.hac.com hosts belongs to either Hughes Defense Communications or
the United States government.  Using email to store YOUR advertising
on them is trespassing!