From: "Chris Sparks (Mr. Ada)" <sparks@AISF.COM>
Subject: Re: Ada95 Pretty-Printers/Coding styles
Date: 1997/06/16
Date: 1997-06-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I am sure I am going to be flamed for my opinions on pretty printers/
coding styles, however, that's life! :-)

I feel that enforcing strict coding styles on individuals is
unproductive and a source of irritation.  If a company really wants
to have complete 100% consistency, then a tool should be used to
generate company-approved code.  What's even more irritating is when
attending code reviews where most of the discussion is about spacing
and case of identifiers.  Argh!! This may be what is happening at my
company, however, I am sure it happens elsewhere.

Robert states: "Personally I would fire such a programmer,
but that is an extreme position, which many companies are not will to
follow, and instead they tolerate unnecessary variation".

I find this VERY extreme since we humans are not machines and cannot
be expected to work 100% in unison.  Not even the Borg has 100%
commitment among its ranks of automatons!  That is why I feel that
a filter (either a separate tool (Best) or a compiler switch (OK)) is
really one way to assure consistency.

Later...

Chris Sparks