* Win32 serial port programming
@ 1997-06-09  0:00 Anne & Bill Pritchett
From: Anne & Bill Pritchett @ 1997-06-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody out there have an Ada 95 package (class) to read to/write
from a serial port under Win32 (WinNT)?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Pritchett

* Re: NT serial ports and VGA
@ 1997-06-10  0:00 ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1997-06-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Direct port access (for example, to do serial ports or VGA) under
windows NT is a security violation (that is, will raise a system
exception) unless you have the game developers kit, which gives
you access to memory and ports.

* Re: Win32 serial port programming
@ 1997-06-11  0:00 ` Philip Johnson
From: Philip Johnson @ 1997-06-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luv2dive

Anne & Bill Pritchett wrote:

> Does anybody out there have an Ada 95 package (class) to read to/write
>
> from a serial port under Win32 (WinNT)?

Bill,

The are Win32Ada bindings for the Win32 GetComm* functions.  The serial
port can be treated
like a file to create, read, write, etc.  The NT serial ports have
standard designations of Com1-4.  Win32 dows not provide a mechanism to
determine what Comm ports are installed.
You will have to build your own exception handler to help determine
which ports are installed.

This method does not allow you to touch the hardware directly.  To do
that you will have to
write the app as a kernel mode driver.

I am porting a C++ application that uses several serial port to Ada95
using ObjectAda.  When I get a solid example talking to the ports I will
post it to the group.

Phil
----
|          Ceilidh [Kay Lee] gaelic: A gathering of friends         |
|Philip Johnson                             Telco: (205) 830-9663   |
|Sr. Software Engineer                      email:philipj@HIWAAY.net|
|Ceilidh Systems Inc.                                               |
|Madison, AL  35758                                                 |