From: "John G. Volan" <johnvolan@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: Any ADA tutors out there?
Date: 1997/06/03
Date: 1997-06-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

AJ wrote:

> Sorry if this is a repetitive question on this group, but I need to learn
> 'ADA' & I need to learn it FAST.  I catch on relatively quick & am very
> computer friendly.  Lemmie know if you can help. -AJ
> Also in search of good downloadable tutorials & instruction books, web
> sites, etc...

No problem, try going to the following URL:

http://www.adahome.com/

You will find everything you need there, including online tutorials,
etc. etc.

However, for your first lesson: "Ada" is not an acronym. It is the name
of a person, Augusta Ada Byron, Countess of Lovelace, 1815-1852,
daughter of the poet Lord Byron, and assistant to the mathematician
Charles Babbage. Babbage designed a mechanical computer, but could never
build it, because 19th century Britain just did not have the precision
machine-tooling necessary to fabricate the fine gears it would require.
However, Ada, a brilliant mathematician in her own right, wrote
instructions on how Babbage's "Analytical Engine" might perform certain
computations.  Had the thing been built, her instructions would have
worked.  For this, she is credited as being the first computer
programmer in history.

The programming language you inquired about was named in her honor.
"ADA" on the other hand refers either to the "Americans with
Disabilities Act" or the "American Dental Association".  If you are
disabled with a toothache, you will have to inquire with some other
newsgroup ... ;-)

Internet.Usenet.Put_Signature
  (Name       => "John G. Volan",
   Employer   => "Texas Instruments Advanced C3I Systems, San Jose, CA",
   Work_Email => "johnv@ti.com",
   Home_Email => "johnvolan@sprintmail.com",
   Slogan     => "Ada95: World's *FIRST* International-Standard OOPL",
   Disclaimer => "My employer never defined these opinions, so using" &
                 "them would be totally erroneous ... or is that"     &
                 "just nondeterministic behavior now? :-) ");