From: "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)" <wwgrol@pseserv6.fw.hac.com>
Subject: Re: q: pkg for network/UNIX programming; system dependencies
Date: 1997/05/30
Date: 1997-05-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> > I'm looking for a package to help me deal with UNIX system-defined types,
> > socket- and network-related types and functionality, domain name service,
> > etc.  I've looked at .....
>
> I have a port of the forest-1.4 library (it compiles without error
> under GNAT 3.09) with some limited Berkeley socket bindings at
> http://www.concentric.net/~Minyard.  ......

FLORIST (Florida State upgrade to FOREST) might also help.

> > .... How do you usually deal with OS or
> > configuration dependencies in Ada?  ....

> > ....  For example, some systems have the
> > utmpx functions, some don't; some have wait4, some don't.

1. Use POSIX and other standards as much as possible.
2. Check your system's offerings very carefully.  Often you may
   find that the system offers a "standard" item that is almost
   as good as the "super-duper nonportable" item.

> the machine-dependent stuff in a separate file makes porting a lot
> easier because you know where all the stuff you have to fix is.

Furr Shurr.

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be

Send me your advertisements!  I'll proofread and return them for only
$50.00 (US) per hundred words (plus a small fee per correction). For
full details, use a subject line of "Re: Proofreading Offer" on a
message of less than ten lines.