From: Scott Stallcup <stallcup@stsci.edu>
Subject: Re: MicroSoft to purchase Aonix?
Date: 1997/05/30
Date: 1997-05-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Mike D Bates wrote:

> ... We're looking at moving from
> Unix platforms to running simulation on a cluster of Intel-based
> syatems running NT.  The reason?  The hardware is more plentiful and
> cheaper than what we currently use, ...

 I've lived through this one before.  Sure, the hardware is cheaper.
 But I've found that you will spend far more money on software
 development when you try to cram a large, complex, application
 onto small cheap hardware.

 This is particularly true when your application fits on one large/fast
 Unix box and you move to two or more Intel "toy" computers because
 one Intel box will not handle the workload.

 How much do you spend on hardware vs. software payroll ?

> Along with the new platform, we'll be using a new language.  The
> options are C++ and Ada95.  I've been arguing for Ada95, ...

  I think the hardware issue is a bigger problem...

Scott Stallcup  (stallcup@stsci.edu)
Space Telescope Science Institute