From: "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)" <wwgrol@pseserv6.fw.hac.com>
Subject: Re: MicroSoft to purchase Aonix?
Date: 1997/05/29
Date: 1997-05-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Some of your quoted arguments for C++ over Ada could (today at least)
apply better to Java over C++.

> "First it was Alsys, then Thomson, then Aonix.  Seems pretty unstable.
> I know MicroSoft will be around in 10 years.  How do I know this
> little Ada company will still be around?"

What do you want?  Stable tools or a stable name?  Don't forget
that Microsoft's definition of "standard" is "controlled by us"
and their process puts robustness and compatibility at a far lower
priority than bells, whistles, and flashing lights to attract the
average consumer.

> "Ada is like Betamax.  It may be technically superior, but it's on its
> way out.  Everyone is doing C++, and we'll be passed by if we go with
> Ada.  Ada is a dead-end."

Not applicable.  BetaMax only works on certain hardware.  Ada
works on nearly everything.  Ada's technical superiority means
lower costs in the long run, and often in the short run.  As for
being "on the way out" Ada's downswing is only a prediction; C++
started its downswing some time ago.  (Easy to say; hard to prove)

> "MicroSoft uses C++ for their development.  Don't you think they'd use
> Ada instead if it was really that much better?"

I should emulate the company that crashes my Mac at least once a week?

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be

Send me your advertisements!  I'll proofread and return them for only
$50.00 (US) per hundred words (plus a small fee per correction). For
full details, use a subject line of "Re: Proofreading Offer" on a
message of less than ten lines.