From: Farshad Nayeri <farshad@cmass.com>
Subject: Re: Why one school changed from Pascal to C++
Date: 1997/05/02
Date: 1997-05-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Kevin Cline wrote:

> Symbols are used in mathematics because they are easier to read than text.
> They are used in computer programs for the same reason.

Well, I'd suggest that the goals of mathematics and computer science
are different, so we may not want to apply the same principles:

  In introductory mathematics, we learn to *use* abstractions.
  (Only advanced mathematicians build abstractions of their own for others to use.)

  In introductory computer science, we learn to *build* abstractions.
  (By extension, only advanced computer scientists use abstraction built by others.)

Sorry, I did start with a longer, more serious point, but since
Netscape crashed, I thought to post this shorter, more silly post!

Seriously though, let's keep the conversation on the topic of why
one school switched out of Pascal to C++.  BTW, why isn't
comp.edu on this discussion? Aren't "they" the experts?

-- Farshad