* Announcement--Critical Mass CM3 Compiler and Runtime
@ 1997-04-30  0:00 Critical Mass, Inc.
From: Critical Mass, Inc. @ 1997-04-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Announcement--Critical Mass CM3 Compiler and Runtime
              http://www.cmass.com/cm3/

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (April 30, 1997) -- Critical Mass, Inc., maker of
the Reactor distributed application development environment, today
released CM3, its cross-platform compiler and run-time library as a
standalone product. CM3 compiles programs directly into native
object format on Unix and Microsoft Windows platforms without the
need of pre-processor-based #ifdefs, or bytecode interpretation.

Using a familiar, Pascal-like syntax, CM3 programs can take
advantage of platform-independent, built-in support for
multi-threading, high-performance automatic memory management,
object-oriented programming and portable exception handling
facilities to eliminate major causes of problems in software
development. CM3 eliminates the need for elaborate and
system-dependent makefiles. It also comes with a standard array of
cross-platform libraries. Finally, CM3 allows tight binding with
legacy C code. All these features make CM3 an ideal tool for serious
systems programming tasks.

CM3 version 4.1.1 is now available for the following Unix and
Windows platforms: SunOS, Solaris, Windows NT/Intel, Windows 95,
HP/UX, SGI IRIX, Linux/ELF on Intel, and Digital Unix on Alpha/AXP.
For additional information, or to download an evaluation copy,
contact Critical Mass, Inc. via email at info@cmass.com or on the
World Wide Web at http://www.cmass.com.

Critical Mass, Inc.

Critical Mass, Inc. is a privately held corporation with
headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.  Building on more
than ten years of world-class research and development in the area
of distributed systems, Critical Mass aims to provide the most
reliable, usable distributed application tools in the industry.

Contact:
Critical Mass, Inc.
voice:     +1 617 354.6277
facsimile: +1 617 354.5027
email:     mailto:info@cmass.com
Internet:  http://www.cmass.com

* Re: Announcement--Critical Mass CM3 Compiler and Runtime
@ 1997-05-01  0:00   ` Mycroft
From: Mycroft @ 1997-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Why invent a new language to do all this, and then advertise in an
> Eiffel group?  Eiffel has been doing all that for years!

> Paul.

Well Paul, if it makes any difference the language CM3 is based on
is Modula-3 and it's probably been around for about as long as
Eiffel has.

* Re: Announcement--Critical Mass CM3 Compiler and Runtime
@ 1997-05-01  0:00 ` Paul Johnson
From: Paul Johnson @ 1997-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3367B10B.3F54BC7E@cmass.com>, info@cmass.com says...

--
Paul Johnson            | GEC-Marconi Ltd is not responsible for my opinions. |
+44 1245 242244         +-----------+-----------------------------------------+

* Re: Announcement--Critical Mass CM3 Compiler and Runtime
@ 1997-05-02  0:00     ` Stephan Wilms
From: Stephan Wilms @ 1997-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mycroft wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Why invent a new language to do all this, and then advertise in an
> > Eiffel group?  Eiffel has been doing all that for years!
>
> > Paul.
>
> Well Paul, if it makes any difference the language CM3 is based on
> is Modula-3 and it's probably been around for about as long as
> Eiffel has.

The "Eiffel" has been around for a *very* long time now. It's a small
idyllic mountain range here in germany not very far from me. Let me
recommend it to you all for your next vacation.

:-)

Stephan