From: Mark & Zurima McKinney <mckmark@us.net>
To: "Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93" <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Re: ObjectAda & Menus
Date: 1997/04/24
Date: 1997-04-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 wrote:

>     Is there anyone out there with experience in using the ObjectAda
>     GUI-Builder to build a program with menus in it?
>
>     I have worked through the example GUI-Builder app provided in the
>     documentation and successfully built a small app which has a
>     button which when pressed, changes the color of the screen. So
>     far, so good. But then I go in and use the menu builder to add
>     some options to the menu bar for the same app. Inside the
>     GUI-builder, you can see the menus just fine. I attach some null
>     code to the procedures connected to the menu options. Still fine.
>     Compile, link & run and there are no menus - just the button left
>     over from the previous example. Some menu code is embedded in the
>     app, but I don't know enough about Windows programming to tell if
>     there's something missing or wrong with the procedure calls being
>     made.

When I checked out ObjectAda I noticed that most of the graphical
objects
are in the generated code from the gui builder. However the menus were
not.
They were in the resource file along with a few other things. The
resource
file is used to store data that describes dialog boxes menus etc ..
There is
an external tool called a resource compiler that converts this into a
linkable
file with the extension of .rbj. Somewhere in the linker options, (I'm
sorry I
can't be more specific I was transfered right after I evaluated it.) you
can add
the resource file. Check the sample windows program files to see where
to add
the option.

Hopefully this limited information will help.
MArk D. McKinney.