* Where are the Ada 95 repositories?
@ 1997-04-17  0:00 Eric B. Lemings
From: Eric B. Lemings @ 1997-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear readers:

It seems that every reusable Ada repository that I find contains old
code written a dozen years ago in Ada 83 for some specific purpose.
A lot of the general packages are now part of the standard Ada 95
library. That's not what I call reusable.

Where are the more general, more useful repositories written in
Ada 95?

Eric.

* Re: Where are the Ada 95 repositories?
@ 1997-04-18  0:00   ` Eric B. Lemings
From: Eric B. Lemings @ 1997-04-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert I. Eachus wrote:

> In article <3356534D.E65C2DDE@etsu-tn.edu> "Eric B. Lemings"
> <zebl1@etsu-tn.edu> writes:
>
>   > A lot of the general packages are now part of the standard Ada
> 95
>   > library. That's not what I call reusable.
>
>   Gee!  That would seem to me to be the ultimate in re-use.  The
> packages were found to be so ubiquitous that they are now in the
> standard.

Quite right.  The last comment was targeted at the older, domain-
specific repositories.  My sentences somehow got out of order.

@ 1997-04-18  0:00 ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1997-04-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3356534D.E65C2DDE@etsu-tn.edu> "Eric B. Lemings" <zebl1@etsu-tn.edu> writes:

  > A lot of the general packages are now part of the standard Ada 95
  > library. That's not what I call reusable.

  Gee!  That would seem to me to be the ultimate in re-use.  The
packages were found to be so ubiquitous that they are now in the
standard.

  > Where are the more general, more useful repositories written in
  > Ada 95?

    Being written...  There are a few out there, and I'll let the
appropriate people speak for themselves.  But real reusable components
are written with a through knowledge of the language and how it should
be used, and are well tested before being released.

    I have a couple that I'd like to release, but right now they work
with one known compiler and at that, only the most recent version.
(Actually one works on gnat 3.07 or later, the other requires 3.09.)

    So it is still a little early yet.
--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;