From: elaine.waybright@pcisys.net
Subject: Re: Tasking newbee
Date: 1997/04/05
Date: 1997-04-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 01 Apr 1997 17:24:08 +0200, Sebastien Pochic
<spochic@INnet.be> wrote:

>hi,
>
> could someone explain what I should do so that the small tasks (without
>the loop) will end before the "big" task (with the loop), in my example
>it first counts the loop before even beginning the other tasks..
>here's my example:

"Extended rendezvous" (accept .. do ... end) should only be used if
the caller and callee have to be synchronized during the entire
rendezvous. Typically, this is the case if the callee protects some
shared resource that the caller wants to access.

In your case, you want the caller to trigger First_Task to start its
computation and then go back to its business of starting the other
task(s). In that case, you should use the simple rendezvous;
accept .. ; for i in .. loop etc. That is, the lengthy computation is
removed from the rendezvous and executed immediately after by the
callee.

Bo Sanden

Professor Bo Sanden
Colorado Technical University
Colorado Springs

Author of Software Systems Construction with Examples in Ada
(Prentice-Hall)