* VIM Ada Mode - "Unfulfilling"?
@ 2006-07-21 18:14 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-21 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Someone voted the VIM Ada Mode [1] down as "Unfulfilling". I am dismay. I am
in a stage of utter shock. What did I do wrong?

Ok, let's have it: what did not work out? Where is the bug? Speak up man!!

Martin

[1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1609
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: VIM Ada Mode - "Unfulfilling"?
@ 2006-07-24 10:49 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2006-07-24 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-07-21, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Someone voted the VIM Ada Mode [1] down as "Unfulfilling". I am dismay. I am
> in a stage of utter shock. What did I do wrong?
>
> Ok, let's have it: what did not work out? Where is the bug? Speak up man!!

It wasn't me at least :-) I just saw your vimball and I'll install it
when I get home. One question though. I see that you say that taglist
can expand the usability. In my experience taglist didn't support Ada.
It works very well with Python and is a very nice tool, but with Ada I
get nothing.

What is the trick to get Ada (or gnat) to work with taglist?

Keep up the good work!

Preben

% vim best-editor.txt
iEmacs is the best editor!<ESC>
0cwVI(m)<ESC>
:wq

* Re: VIM Ada Mode - "Unfulfilling"?
@ 2006-07-24 18:16   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-24 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> On 2006-07-21, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Someone voted the VIM Ada Mode [1] down as "Unfulfilling". I am dismay. I
>> am in a stage of utter shock. What did I do wrong?
>>
>> Ok, let's have it: what did not work out? Where is the bug? Speak up
>> man!!
>
> It wasn't me at least :-) I just saw your vimball and I'll install it
> when I get home. One question though. I see that you say that taglist
> can expand the usability. In my experience taglist didn't support Ada.
> It works very well with Python and is a very nice tool, but with Ada I
> get nothing.

Taglist supports any language which Ctags supports. All Taglist need is a
list of type (procedure, package, task, etc, pp) which Ctags generates when
parsing a language.

> What is the trick to get Ada (or gnat) to work with taglist?

The trick is the Ada support for Ctags. After that it is just a matter of
setting up on the type-list (No big deal, mostly copy/paste the type-list
from Ctags). The GNU Ada project [1] has a fully patched Ctags and Taglist
(as part of the VIM package) for SuSe and Fedora available for download.
For other systems download source packages.

Martin

[1] http://gnuada.sf.net
--

@ 2006-07-24 18:44     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-24 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:

> The GNU Ada project [1] has a fully patched Ctags and Taglist
> (as part of the VIM package) for SuSe and Fedora available for download.
> For other systems download source packages.

We also have a screenshot of the result:

http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Packages/GNATTools

(I changed that ugly pink by now ;-) )

Martin
--

@ 2006-07-26  8:22     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2006-07-26  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4111497.d6CVWYCPOv@linux1.krischik.com>, Martin Krischik wrote:
>The trick is the Ada support for Ctags. After that it is just a matter of
>setting up on the type-list (No big deal, mostly copy/paste the type-list
>from Ctags). The GNU Ada project [1] has a fully patched Ctags and Taglist
>(as part of the VIM package) for SuSe and Fedora available for download.
>For other systems download source packages.

Good work!
Are the patches submitted to the exhuberant ctags people? It would be
nice if it included Ada support by default and that one do not need a
specific patch to get it to work.

Preben

* Re: VIM Ada Mode - "Unfulfilling"?
@ 2006-07-26 10:39       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-26 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol schrieb:

> In article <4111497.d6CVWYCPOv@linux1.krischik.com>, Martin Krischik wrote:

> Are the patches submitted to the exhuberant ctags people? It would be
> nice if it included Ada support by default and that one do not need a
> specific patch to get it to work.

Yes. You can track the progress (or the lack of it) here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1525305&group_id=6556&atid=306556

Martin