* String to Integer conversion.
@ 1997-03-31  0:00 Bazza
From: Bazza @ 1997-03-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know how to convert something such as:-

	223 + 4234

	from a string, to 3 seperate variables, 223, + and 4234.  The string
will be held in a queue and each character pulled off one by one, then
either stored as an integer of an operator, in the relevant variable
type.

	Thanks in advance.

	Bazza

* Re: String to Integer conversion.
@ 1997-03-31  0:00 ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1997-03-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bazza asks:
    > Does anyone know how to convert something such as: 223 + 4234
    > from a string, to 3 seperate variables, 223, + and 4234.

Yes, there are several ways of doing it, including (a) using a shell tool
with regular expressions (like awk, perl, Snobol, gnat, turbo pascal,
SQL PLUS, or Refine), (b) using a table-driven finite state automaton (FSA),
(c) using a FSA implemented in code, (d) writing ad hoc code which would
be hopefully equivalent to the FSA, (e) enhancing the FSA to automatically
generate the output according to a table in which case we may call it
a finite state transducer (FST), (f) enhancing the FST with a stack to
permit nesting of expressions and parentheses, (g) using a semi-Thue
string rewriting system to cause the transduction, (h) enhancing the FST
with a staging mechanism to control parallel execution which we may call
a Petri Net, (i) writing a genetic algorithm to learn the typical patterns
of expressions used by programmers and from that table of patterns
constructing a neural net to do the conversion, (j) congealing in an
electrophoresis vat a set of DNA molecules whose amino sequences encode
all possible valid strings in the desired grammar for the potential
algebraic expressions being recognized, (k) building an optical computer
using lenses - prisms - collators - mirrors - inferometers - and various
control mechanisms to do the recognition combined with computer generated
holographic output devices like those at the MIT optics lab, (l) using
the RS-232 interface to a TI calculator with an optical scanner reading
the display, (m) using a human computer comprising a sighted person
responsible for seeing and perceiving the inputs and a parser theory
student responsible for lexically processing the inputs and a Votrex
chip board to speak the outputs from the lexical processing stage,
(n) assign it to your students, (o) ask on comp.lang.ada. The following
FSA would perform the transduction you requested, subject to your
interpretation of the words <something such as>, using the techniques
in Epstein, Word Processing in Groups, or Ullman, the Dragon book.

    > 223 + 4234 from a string, to 3 seperate variables, 223, + and 4234

type classes is (blank, end_of_file, all_others);
type states is (start, got_blank, got_blank_2, error, done);
type transition_rows is array (classes) of states;
type transition_matrices is array (states) of transition_rows;

transition_matrix: constant transition_matrices :=
  (start       => (got_blank,   error, start,       error, error),
   got_blank   => (got_blank,   error, got_blank,   error, error),
   got_blank_2 => (got_blank_2, done,  got_blank_2, error, error),
   error       => (error,       error, error,       error, error),
   done        => (error,       error, error,       error, error));

* Re: String to Integer conversion.
@ 1997-04-01  0:00 ` Bazza
From: Bazza @ 1997-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone who replied to this message please reply again, as my email
account has been knackered for the last few weeks.

        Thanks,

        Bazza