From: Ken Garlington <GarlingtonKE@lmtas.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Service Academies
Date: 1997/04/01
Date: 1997-04-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert B. Love wrote:

> Do I remember someone saying that the USAF is teaching cadets
> Ada?  I've been on the phone today with recruiters talking
> about Colorado Springs.  The woman told me she had no call
> for Ada programmers but C++/GUI was hot and had been growing.
> This firm dealt only with aerospace, not the telcom companies.
>
> So my actual questions are:
>
> a) Is Ada being taught to Air Force cadets?
>
> b) Why, if right outside their gates it isn't being
>    used?
>
> Actually, I do know of a _small_ number of Ada projects in the
> Springs but the number seems to be dwindling fast.  Does the
> Air Force not use "war fighting" software?

I'm not sure I see the connection. Although the Air Force Academy
is in Colorado Springs, I don't think there's a lot of DoD
software development or acquisition going on there. Such work
is usually done by contractors, or at locations such as Wright-Patterson
AFB in Dayton, OH, or Hill AFB near Salt Lake City. Certainly,
there's a substantial amount of Ada being developed for the
USAF, over 1 million lines of code on at least one project with
which I'm familiar. One good place to visit on the Web is the
USAF Software Technology Service Center at

http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil

although I wasn't able to connect to them a few minutes ago...

>  Bob Love                                   MIME & NeXT Mail OK
>  rlove@neosoft.com                            PGP key available

LMTAS - The Fighter Enterprise - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For job listings, other info: http://www.lmtas.com or
http://www.lmco.com