* Papers on the Ariane-5 crash and Design by Contract
@ 1997-03-15  0:00 Bertrand Meyer
       [not found] ` <tz8ohcjv7cc.fsf@aimnet.com>
From: Bertrand Meyer @ 1997-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We have made available on-line the paper that Jean-Marc Jezequel
and I published in the January issue of IEEE Computer about the
June 1996, software-induced $500-million crash of the Ariane 5
mission, and the lessons it holds for software development
--  in particular the role of contracts for reusable software.

The paper can be found by following the "Ariane 5" link at

	http://www.eiffel.com

We have used this opportunity to update the technology
paper that summarizes the theory of Design by Contract
(http://www.eiffel.com/doc/manuals/technology/contract/index.html).

--
Bertrand Meyer, President, ISE Inc., Santa Barbara (California)
805-685-1006, fax 805-685-6869, <bertrand@eiffel.com> -

* Re: Papers on the Ariane-5 crash and Design by Contract
@ 1997-03-17  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1997-03-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Will this subject never die? Will there always be someone posting
    here with the claim that if only language XYZ were used instead of
    Ada that the whole thing would have worked fine???

    I thought it had been very well documented that there was a
    deliberate design decision to *remove* all the language safety
    checks and operate "at risk". On Ariane 4, this turned out to be
    the correct engineering decision. (or at least "one of many
    possible" correct decisions.)

    Absolutely *no* programming language is going to prevent this sort
    of decision because even if the language won't let you turn off
    checks, you'll just circumvent the language to get what you want
    anyway. (And there's no way that programmer "X" raised on a steady
    diet of language "Y" would never make such a disasterous decision
    because there's always Manager "A" with big stick "B" to
    re-educate programmer "X" until he becomes a team player, sees the
    big picture and gets with the program.)

    There is no programming language ever invented which can stop you
    from putting a round into the chamber, pointing the muzzle at your
    toe and squeezing the trigger. (Not even PL-1 - just in case we
    want to bring *that* one up again ;-)

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
        In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the
        roulette wheel over what I considered to be an odd number.

            --  Steven Wright

* Re: Papers on the Ariane-5 crash and Design by Contract
@ 1997-03-20  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1997-03-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas <nouser@NOHOST.NODOMAIN> writes:
>I have implemented a number of signal processing algorithms both using
>small integer and floating point arithmetic.  The floating point
>versions were not only much easier to develop, they also were
>considerably more robust.  That is true even if both the inputs
>and outputs of the system are actually small integers (as they
>usually are when it comes to sensors and effectors).  On low-end
>hardware, the floating point versions are, of course, somewhat
>slower (on modern RISCs there is often no difference).

    We've found that on machines with on-board floating point, the
    difference between scaled integers and floating point ends up
    being about a wash. While the integer arithmetic may be faster,
    there's usually more overhead in converting between scalings and
    so forth. (Of course, this may be very application specific. YMMV)

    As for overflow situations - you're right that the use of floating
    point usually means more than enough resolution so you never see
    it overflow. It might have saved the Ariane. What might also have
    saved them would be if the arithmetic on the machine had saturated
    instead of causing an interrupt. (Disable the interrupt & let the
    hardware saturate or enable the interrupt & put your own
    saturation software in there.) Floating point usually saturates
    the way you want it to from hardware, but fixed usually doesn't.

@ 1997-03-24  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1997-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bertrand Meyer <bertrand@EIFFEL.COM> writes:
>        !! Does this mean that the crash would automatically have
>        !! been avoided had the mission used a language and method
>        !! supporting built-in assertions and Design by Contract?
>        !! Although it is always risky to draw such after-the-fact
>        !! conclusions, the answer is probably yes:
>
>        !! [Detailed reasoning omitted.]

    O.K. Here's my question: When the project team comes up with the
    answer that assertions and/or Design by Contract (whatever your
    favorite Eiffel-ism is) costs too much CPU time and hence needs to
    be turned off lest the software doesn't run at all, is there a way
    to do it?

    If there is no way to disable the features mentioned, is there a
    way to get straight into assembler from Eiffel so that the code
    can be written without the assertions and/or Design by Contract?

    If there is no way to disable the features and there's no way to
    get to assembler, is there some way I can pay the compiler writer
    to give me a custom switch to disable the features or get to
    assembler and thus avoid the checks?

    If the answer to the above questions is "No", "No", and "No" then
    you have just explained why Eiffel could never be used to develop
    the Ariane software. The design team *knew* that the runtime
    checks for valid data ranges were too costly in the particular
    application and hence needed to be disabled. They deliberately
    chose to ignore all of the possible features of Ada (or any other
    language for that matter) that could perform range checks and
    insure the data could never be wrong. This sort of thing is done
    *all the time* in the realtime world and insisting that one should
    *never* turn off runtime checks is displaying a lack of
    understanding about hard, realtime applications.

    Hence, I would conclude that Eiffel *could not* have saved the
    Ariane, because it was a deliberate, conscious, decision on the
    part of the design team to exclude runtime checking. No language
    could have saved them. On Ariane 4, the decision was one valid way
    to build the software. On Ariane 5, they messed up by assuming
    there was no difference from Ariane 4, and thus they could reuse
    the software.

    When folks sit around and discuss language theory and software
    design strategies or methodologies, they often come up with really
    good ideas. But in real applications, you very often have to back
    off of what is "theoretically pure" because of real world
    constraints. And that sort of "backing off" would happen no matter
    *what* language gets used.

@ 1997-03-27  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1997-03-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts <Nick.Roberts@DIAL.PIPEX.COM> writes:
>>     it overflow. It might have saved the Ariane. What might also have
>>     saved them would be if the arithmetic on the machine had saturated
>>     instead of causing an interrupt. (Disable the interrupt & let the
>>     hardware saturate or enable the interrupt & put your own
>>     saturation software in there.) Floating point usually saturates
>>     the way you want it to from hardware, but fixed usually doesn't.
>>

>I would be very grateful if you (or someone) would explain the term
>'saturation' in this context. I'm not accusing you of incorrect usage of a
>technical term, merely myself of ignorance. I would be very interested.

    I'm not sure if there is some formal academic definition of the
    term in either mathematics or computer science. I've only learned
    to use the term the way it gets used in the embedded world around
    here.

    Integer arithmetic is the simplest case: If you have a 16bit
    signed integer with a value of +32766 in it and you add, say +10
    to it, instead of getting a value that wraps around to the
    negative (including an interrupt for fixed point overflow) you get
    +32767. In other words, the register "saturates" to its maximum
    possible value.

    Floating point overflow/underflow is similar, except you have to
    deal with very large & very small numbers as well as negative &
    positive. If you have "saturated" floating point arithmetic, as
    you continually divide a number by 0.1 and it gets closer and
    closer to zero, eventually you trip over the smallest number
    representable and the number "saturates" to zero. Likewise, in the
    other direction.

    If you're lucky, your hardware will do this for you. If not,
    you've got to implement this effect in software - which in Ada is
    easy to do by defining your own type with it's own "+", "-", etc
    operators - but that can be terribly slow!

    The reason that saturation is such a good thing in "control"
    systems is because it is very much like the real world works. If
    you're commanding some motor to turn at a given rate, sooner or
    later you hit the maximum rate the motor can turn and commanding
    it to turn faster does no good. Thus your math which calculates
    how to command the motor ought to saturate the same way the motor
    does. If it wraps around to a big negative number, chances are you
    just commanded the motor to spin at max rate in the opposite
    direction. (Generally considered "bad") Naturally, you want all
    your math to work correctly and never generate an overflow. But if
    you made a mistake? An unanticipated, "out-of-range" condition?
    If your math saturates, chances are you're doing the right thing -
    or at least the least harmful thing.

    Hope this explains it. Maybe more hardware designs (or language
    designs?) will one day provide this sort of behavior for us
    control geeks.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        561.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        561.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDIC@FLINET.COM
    "That which belongs to another."

        --  Diogenes, when asked what wine he liked to drink.

* Re: Papers on the Ariane-5 crash and Design by Contract
@ 1997-04-03  0:00 Adrian B.Y. Hoe
From: Adrian B.Y. Hoe @ 1997-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Sat, 29 Mar 1997 17:04:50 GMT
> From:    the one and only real true kibo <kibo@DHP.COM>
> Subject: Re: Papers on the Ariane-5 crash and Design by Contract

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Sat, 29 Mar 1997 17:06:17 GMT
> From:    the one and only real true kibo <kibo@DHP.COM>
> Subject: Re: Papers on the Ariane-5 crash and Design by Contract

--

B.Y.

Adrian, B.Y. Hoe   VP, Business Development   Email : byHoe@quantum.pc.my

                                     \/       Lexical Integration (M) Sdn Bhd
                                   \/  \/     13-B Jln Pandan Indah 4/2
                                 \/  \/  \/   Pandan Indah
                                   \/  \/     55100 Kuala Lumpur
                                     \/       Malaysia