From: Scott Renfro <srenfro@sirinet.net>
Subject: Re: Discriminant as default initial value
Date: 1997/03/30
Date: 1997-03-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Matthew Heaney wrote:

> I'm curious: why are you setting the component Max to the value of the
> discriminant?  Do you ever want to change Max?  If not, then why not just
> read the discriminant directly (and get rid of the Max component)?

I can, and intend to, use the value of the discriminant as the max
rather than the Max component, but stumbled onto this behavior while
converting from a non-discriminant version of the same data structure.
I had not yet removed the Max component and was surprised when I could
not initialize it's value from the discriminant.  Yes, I'm on a tangent,
but do want to understand this behavior since it surprised me.

> This seems a bit strange.  The location of the components within the record
> should not make any difference.  (Yes, there are some restrictions wrt
> variant parts, but that doesn't apply here.)

That's what I thought.  I just figured my lack of experience was a much
more likely root cause of this than a bug in GNAT.

Scott