* gnat console screen-package
@ 1997-03-11  0:00 Philippe
From: Philippe @ 1997-03-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a package that can let me position the cursor in
a DOS window under win95. I'm using gnat 3.04
I'm also looking for a package that polls for keyboard hits.

I'd appreciate any help.
Aslak

* Re: gnat console screen-package
@ 1997-03-18  0:00 Martin C. Carlisle
From: Martin C. Carlisle @ 1997-03-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Philippe wrote:

> I'm looking for a package that can let me position the cursor in
> a DOS window under win95. I'm using gnat 3.04
> I'm also looking for a package that polls for keyboard hits.
>
> I'd appreciate any help.
> Aslak

If you have ansi.sys in your config.sys file, you can use the screen
package from Feldman and Koffman "Ada 95: Problem Solving and Program
Design" 2nd Ed., Addison Wesley.

See:  http://www.seas.gwu.edu/faculty/mfeldman/spider/aps3-7.htm

--Martin

--
Dr. Martin Carlisle, Asst Prof of Comp Sci, US Air Force Academy
Opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of USAFA.

--
Martin C. Carlisle, Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html

* Re: gnat console screen-package
@ 1997-04-07  0:00 ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 1997-04-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Philippe wrote:

> I'm looking for a package that can let me position the cursor in
> a DOS window under win95. I'm using gnat 3.04
> I'm also looking for a package that polls for keyboard hits.
>
> I'd appreciate any help.
> Aslak

  For the Janus compiler from RR Software, I have found the following
  to be useful for character-based displays:

  package Ada.Text_IO.Screen_IO is
     procedure Set_Cursor_Col (To : Positive);
     procedrue Set_Cursor_Row (To : Positive);
     procedure Cursor_Up      (To : Positive := 1);
     procedure Cursor_Down    (To : Positive := 1);
     procedure Cursor_Right   (To : Positive := 1);
     procedure Cursor_Left    (To : Positive := 1);
  end Ada.Text_IO.Screen_IO;

  with ANSI_IO;  -- a commonly available package (try Walnut Creek CD-ROM)
  package body Ada.Text_IO.Screen_IO is

      -- implement the exported services with ANSI_IO services.

  end Ada.Text_IO.Screen_IO;

  I know there is a problem implementing this with GNAT.  Apparently,
  one has to use a particular indentation scheme as well as some
  special compiler switches to make it work.  But I have at least one
  client who has made it work with GNAT, so it is feasible.

  Richard Riehle