From: Bart Smaalders <barts@eng.sun.com>
Subject: Re: 3 mill messages/s over UDP sockets?
Date: 1997/03/07
Date: 1997-03-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

That's 300 million bytes/sec.  Better tell the Gb ethernet folks
they've been scooped.  And advise them as to what the inter-packet
delay is supposed to be... clearly the standard value is too
conservative ;-).

I'd check to make sure you didn't just fill a 120 deep DMA operation
request buffer - or some even simpler error path was taken.

- Bart

Arne Riiber wrote:

> Using the gnat-3.07 Ada compiler (w/pthreads1.60b4) and Linux 2.0
> on a 133Mhz Pentium, two ada tasks could send/receive about 120
> 100-byte messages over UDP sockets in 0.04 milliseconds. This gives
> about 3 million messages per second.
>
> It was not possible to send/receive more than about 200 messages,
> even if the socket send buffer size was set to 50K with setsockopt().
>
> Anyone that can explain the results (is it related to Pthreads or Gnat?)
> And better, what is needed to set up the socket buffer so the buffer
> size is 50K (as on non-threaded socket calls), so more messages
> can be sent?
>
> -Arne-
>
> --
> Arne Riiber             http://home.sn.no/~riiber
> System Teknologi AS     http://www.systek.no

Bart Smaalders			Solaris Clustering	SunSoft
barts@cyber.eng.sun.com		(415) 786-5335		MS UMPK17-301
http://playground.sun.com/~barts			2550 Garcia Ave
							Mt View, CA 94043-1100