From: waltera@logica.com (Andy Walter)
Subject: Re: Ada Success Story
Date: 1997/03/04
Date: 1997-03-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Mark Bennison <mark.bennison@gecm.com.no.spam> wrote:

>"Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-93" <condicma@PWFL.COM> wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>    The 1750 is truly an old machine, but it's about the only thing
>>    available for deep space environments. It's really tough to work
>>    within its memory and speed limitations. If anybody knows of a
>>    more advanced, faster processor that is suitable for deep space
>>    that doesn't cost six figures a pop and has some proven track
>>    record, I'd *really* like to hear about it!
>
>I did some consultancy work for the Ariane rocket programme ( no, it
>wasn't my fault ;-) where I was informed that there is a rad-hard version
>of the SPARC architecture available ( by a Dutch company I seem to recall
>). However, I couldn't glean any more information and the price may well
>be six figures....

A SPARC based  chipset has been developed as part of a European Space
Agency programme by TEMIC/MHS of France. However, it is *rad-tolerant*
rather than rad-hard.  I am not an expert on this, so can not say
precisely what the difference is.  For further information including
contact details, a home page exists at:
http://www.estec.esa.nl/wsmwww/erc32/

Andy Walter
Logica UK Ltd - Space Division
e-mail: waltera@logica.com
phone: +44 171 446 4344

Normal bit about views not being my employers . . . etc