* gnat ada95 compiler..help
@ 1997-02-25  0:00 bill
From: bill @ 1997-02-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
I am a relatively new ADA student as I am in my second semster of ADA
instruction however I have only used a commercial VMS based compiler to date
and I am having some trouble with basic usage of the gnat compiler I
downloaded tonight.  I can't seem to compile anything..so I must be doing
something incredibly stupid.. so if anyone can tell me either a. where a good
reference for gnat syntax is or b. what to type just to compile, link, and
execute a program like the basic "hello world" i would be very appreciative.

Thank you in advance
Bill Rawlinson

   ___                ___
  (/__) .  /) /)     (/__)    http://webpages.marshall.edu/~rawlins2
  /__) (__(__(___    /\    __          /) .     _    _
 (                  (  \  (_/(_(_(_(__(__(_/\/_/_)__(_)_/\/______

* Re: gnat ada95 compiler..help
@ 1997-02-26  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Someone asked

<<I am a relatively new ADA student as I am in my second semster of ADA
instruction however I have only used a commercial VMS based compiler to date
and I am having some trouble with basic usage of the gnat compiler I
downloaded tonight.  I can't seem to compile anything..so I must be doing
something incredibly stupid.. so if anyone can tell me either a. where a good
reference for gnat syntax is or b. what to type just to compile, link, and
execute a program like the basic "hello world" i would be very appreciative.>>

did you read the manual. The first chapter of the users guide is a pretty
elementary level introduction to exactly these topics ...

* Re: gnat ada95 compiler..help
@ 1997-03-02  0:00 ` Corbin Dunn
From: Corbin Dunn @ 1997-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

bill,
are you using windows95 or 3.x?
I had to add this path in my autoexec to get gnat to compile anything:

rem gnat junk that i had to add
echo off
set PATH=C:\ADAGNAT\bin;%path%
SET PATH=C:\ADAGNAT\GW-GNAT;%PATH%;
set TMPDIR=C:\ADAGNAT\tmp
set GO32TMP=C:\ADAGNAT\tmp
set GO32=topline C:\ADAGNAT\drivers\vga.grd gw 640 gh 480
set DJGPP=C:\ADAGNAT\djgpp.env
set ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\ADAGNAT\adainc
set ADA_OBJECTS_PATH=C:\ADAGNAT\lib\adalib
set GW-GNAT=C:\ADAGNAT\gw-gnat
rem end gnat junk

to syntax check:
gnat1 -gnatl yourfile.adb

you must use the extention .adb

to compile:
gcc -c yourfile.adb

to link:
gnatbl yourfile.ali

to run your program type (at the prompt):
yourfile

GOOD LUCK!

--
corbin@cruzio.com