From: Ken Garlington <GarlingtonKE@lmtas.lmco.com>
Subject: Ada Success Story II
Date: 1997/02/27
Date: 1997-02-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

rlove@raptor.neosoft.com (Robert B. Love) wrote:

<< With people so quick to blame Ada for the loss of Ariane I'd
like to point out that Saturday's Titan 4B flew with a new
flight computer programmed in Ada.  While I'm sketchy on details
they used a 1750 computer on a 1553 bus.  An old combination
of hardware but new for the Titan family.

Anybody from LockMart care to comment? >>

I can't comment on the Titan 4B, since it's not my division.
There may be a press release available on www.lmco.com in the
near future providing more details on the launch.

Speaking of press releases, here's another Ada success story in
the works from _my_ division of Lockheed Martin:

This information has been provided to the news media, with USAF
approval.  It refers to the initial software release in December; an
updated software package has since been released.

F-22 FIRST FLIGHT SOFTWARE PROGRAM COMPLETED

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems recently
released the first complete Operational Flight Program (OFP) for the
F-22 aircraft.  The software package was electronically transmitted via
a secure communication link to Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems in
Marietta, Ga., where the F-22 is undergoing final assembly.
	The delivered OFP includes the computing power to control the major
subsystems needed for the first flight of the aircraft, including the
hydraulics and electrical power systems, flight controls, cockpit
displays and engine controls.   Elements of the software have been
developed by Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems, Lockheed Martin
Aeronautical Systems and Boeing Military Airplanes Division.
	Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems, Fort Worth, Tex., is
responsible for system testing and integration of the OFP for the
initial aircraft.  The initial software release includes 275,000 lines
of software code, of which Tactical Aircraft Systems developed about 57
percent.  An additional 1,450,000 lines of code will be developed during
Engineering and Manufacturing Development of the advanced avionics
systems for the F-22.
	The flyable software developed by F-22 team members and major suppliers
is integrated at Fort Worth and assembled into a single OFP for the
initial aircraft.  The OFP is loaded on the aircraft at the Marietta
site using a Portable Maintenance Aid (PMA) that was developed by
Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems and Allied Signal.
	"The OFP assembly and load processes, demonstrated with this initial
release, encompass a significant advancement in software supportability
that will be used throughout the F-22 EMD, production, and field support
phases," said Charla K. Wise, F-22 vice president and program director
at Tactical Aircraft Systems.
	"The concept improves software reliability and maintainability,
simplifies the software update process, and will reduce life cycle cost
for the customer," Wise said.   "The quality and integrity of the total
software package is key to the success of any new fighter aircraft
flight- test program.  We are encouraged that major milestones in F-22
software development are occurring on schedule with no unforeseen
problems."
	Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems used the initial OFP release for
power-on testing of the first F-22 EMD aircraft.  Two additional
software releases are scheduled prior to the first flight of the F-22 in
May, to incorporate changes recommended as a result of the integration
testing at Fort Worth.
	The F-22 is being developed as the new air dominance fighter for the
U.S. Air Force.
			# # #