From: Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: GNAT NT 3.09 Search Path
Date: 1997/02/24
Date: 1997-02-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

William Paul Berriss wrote:

> If I put a line like
> set ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\windows;C:\ada\eeg;
> plus other directories in a .bat file and run that before running
> gcc, gcc cannot find the necessary library files in the eeg directory.
>
> BUT
>
> If I type the command set ADA_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\ada\eeg at
> the DOS prompt myself, just before running gcc then all is OK,
> it finds files OK.

It sounds like you are running under bash, which spawns a sub-process
for each command. So in the first scenario, you define ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
in a sub-process, which then exits, losing the definition. In the second
scenario, you define ADA_INCLUDE_PATH in your main process, and all is
well.

If you are running in a DOS window, I'm confused too. Perhaps you could
post an exact log of what you type; that should make things clearer.

> Is this because I have just one directory in the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
> and so I have no problems with forward slashes and colons?
> I will try this ASAP.
>
> I hope so as it really confused me.

This is one reason I always use a makefile, and explicitly put
"-I/ada/eeg" etc in the commands. That way, when I give the make file to
someone else, I never have to remember to also give them the
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH definition.

--
- Stephe