* Redirecting output to a printer
@ 1997-02-23  0:00 Jack Lunn
From: Jack Lunn @ 1997-02-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you redirect output to a printer from within an Ada
procedure (Unix and DOS environments)?

Creating an Out_File called "lpt1" seems to work in DOS.  I'm
just wondering if there is a better way.

Thanks for your help.

* Re: Redirecting output to a printer
@ 1997-02-26  0:00 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 1997-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Lunn (jclunn@carol.net) wrote:
 __________
| How do you redirect output to a printer from within an Ada
| procedure (Unix and DOS environments)?
|
| Creating an Out_File called "lpt1" seems to work in DOS.  I'm
| just wondering if there is a better way.
|__________

I will not claim that this is a better way, but it works (in Unix):

 - write the text to a temporary file
 - call the C system routine to print the file
   ('system ("lpr /tmp/print_it")' on a Unix box)

You will have to write a binding to the system routine, but that is not too
hard using the Interfaces.C and Interfaces.C.Strings packages.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
Jacob Sparre Andersen                            http://www.nbi.dk/%7Esparre/
Center for Chaos and Turbulence Studies          Phone: (+45) 39 65 53 51

* Re: Redirecting output to a printer
@ 1997-02-27  0:00 ` John Apa
From: John Apa @ 1997-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Lunn

Jack Lunn wrote:

> How do you redirect output to a printer from within an Ada
> procedure (Unix and DOS environments)?
>
> Creating an Out_File called "lpt1" seems to work in DOS.  I'm
> just wondering if there is a better way.
>
> Thanks for your help.

On a unix machine I found that it's best to send output to a file in
/tmp and then when you're done creating it use a system call (I forget
the package/procedure name, but it's system dependent anyway) to fire it
off to the printer using whatever command line action you would normally
use. The function allows you to execute a command line from within your
program. It took a string like "p -o -l -s "\!*" <\!* | lpr
-Pps_lps_w14u". Worked pretty good.

Hope it helps.

--
John Thomas Apa