* Converting Java To Ada?
@ 2004-12-15  2:03 conradwt
From: conradwt @ 2004-12-15  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, are there any tools for converting Java source to Ada source (i.e.
adb and ads)?

Thanks in advance,

-Conrad

* Re: Converting Java To Ada?
@ 2004-12-15  2:48 ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2004-12-15  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

    conradwt> Hi, are there any tools for converting Java source to
    conradwt> Ada source (i.e.  adb and ads)?

Yes.

It is called a "programmer". These tools walk around on two legs and
eat pizza. Make sure you get the correct model, you want a model that
supports Ada and Java. Also make sure you have plenty of pizza.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-).
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>

* Re: Converting Java To Ada?
@ 2004-12-15  4:43   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-12-15  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May wrote:

>     conradwt> Hi, are there any tools for converting Java source to
>     conradwt> Ada source (i.e.  adb and ads)?
>
> Yes.
>
> It is called a "programmer". These tools walk around on two legs and
> eat pizza. Make sure you get the correct model, you want a model that
> supports Ada and Java. Also make sure you have plenty of pizza.
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist ;-).

In fact, I would concur with this answer.

If you only need to convert from Java to Ada because a Java executive is
not available for the environment in which you wish to run the program,
then an automated conversion tool might make sense. But this seems like an
unlikely scenario, somehow.

If, on the other hand, you need to convert a Java program into Ada, and
then subsequently maintain the program (in Ada), then I suggest you use the
aforementioned bipedal pizzivorous tool.

There are good reasons for this. Ada provides many language constructs that
have no direct analogy in Java (and there are a few Java constructs whose
Ada analogues are ugly as hell). Probably, only a human -- and a very
skilled one, at that -- can make the sophisticated transformations required
to convert the Java idioms into appropriate Ada ones.

Oh, and I've heard that these humans drink copious quantities of coke, as
well as eating pizza at all times of the day and night (plus the occasional
Alka-Selza).

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: Converting Java To Ada?
@ 2004-12-17 13:19     ` Tommy Zhu
From: Tommy Zhu @ 2004-12-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would suggest  add this topic to Ada Faq:The Ada Funnies.