* Re: Gnat 3.09 NT - Legal issues
       [not found] <01bc0fc4$c6d53740$829d6482@joy.ericsson.se>
@ 1997-02-09  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-02-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

jonas asks

<<Can I be sure that ANY program I produce with Gnat 3.09 for NT/Win95 will
not contain parts governed by the rules of LGPL. The Gnat license states
that the inclusion of any library code does not fall under the terms of
LGPL, but how do I know that there has not been included any code from
the libraries provided by Cygnus (Gnu) in my application.

Well someone always likes to raise FUD on this issue from time to time :-)
There are no problems in this regard. No LGPL'ed or otherwise problematic
code is included in your generated executables.

We will be happy to explain this further to any of our customers who might
be concerned -- please send mail to sales@gnat.com if you have further
questions.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Gnat 3.09 NT - Legal issues
@ 1997-02-10  0:00   ` Lance Kibblewhite
From: Lance Kibblewhite @ 1997-02-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:

>jonas asks
>
><<Can I be sure that ANY program I produce with Gnat 3.09 for NT/Win95 will
>not contain parts governed by the rules of LGPL. The Gnat license states
>that the inclusion of any library code does not fall under the terms of
>LGPL, but how do I know that there has not been included any code from
>the libraries provided by Cygnus (Gnu) in my application.
>>>

>Well someone always likes to raise FUD on this issue from time to time :-)
>There are no problems in this regard. No LGPL'ed or otherwise problematic
>code is included in your generated executables.
>
>We will be happy to explain this further to any of our customers who might
>be concerned -- please send mail to sales@gnat.com if you have further
>questions.

Yes, but what about the Cygnus libraries?

Their Web page contains the following paragraph:

>How is this software copyrighted?
>
>Like all GNU software, the source code and modifications developed
>by Cygnus Support for this project are under the GNU General Public
>License (GPL). As of beta 17, library code in the cygwin.dll (which
>is embedded in your program if you use the gnu-win32 tools) is now
>under the GNU General Public License which means that unless people
>figure out a way of not linking against libcygwin.a (which is needed
>to make libc and libm work right now), the program most likely also
>has to become free software under the GPL. If in doubt, check the
>relevant files in the code for the copyright notices.

Which is fine.

However, over the weekend, I receieved a mail on the on the gnu-win32
mailing list which indicated that Cygnus intend to somehow modify this
policy to require some form of licensing for what they called
'proprietary' applications.

I don't have a copy with me at the moment, and I'm not sure if I saved
it at home or not.  If I do have it, I'll post it as a followup.

-- Lance.

* Re: Gnat 3.09 NT - Legal issues
@ 1997-02-10  0:00     ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 1997-02-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:

>jonas asks
>
><<Can I be sure that ANY program I produce with Gnat 3.09 for NT/Win95 will
>not contain parts governed by the rules of LGPL. The Gnat license states
>that the inclusion of any library code does not fall under the terms of
>LGPL, but how do I know that there has not been included any code from
>the libraries provided by Cygnus (Gnu) in my application.
>
>Well someone always likes to raise FUD on this issue from time to time :-)
>There are no problems in this regard. No LGPL'ed or otherwise problematic
>code is included in your generated executables.

People do often like to raise FUD about GPL issues, but in this case
I'm not yet completely convinced that it is FUD.

If the code generated by GNAT for NT/Win95 using cynwin32 really doesn't
include any of the libcygwin.a code, could you perhaps explain to us
how (technically speaking) you avoided that?

(Or do I have to download the source and figure it out myself? ;-)

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.

* Re: Gnat 3.09 NT - Legal issues
@ 1997-02-11  0:00     ` Lance Kibblewhite
From: Lance Kibblewhite @ 1997-02-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is the email I received on the Gnu-Win32 list regarding Cygnus'
plans for licensing Cygwin32.

-- Lance.

* Re: Gnat 3.09 NT - Legal issues
@ 1997-02-11  0:00       ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1997-02-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5dnpk4$iq9@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> fjh@murlibobo.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson) writes:
>If the code generated by GNAT for NT/Win95 using cynwin32 really doesn't
>include any of the libcygwin.a code, could you perhaps explain to us
>how (technically speaking) you avoided that?

99% of libcygwin.a is automatically-generated jump vectors to
cygwin32.dll, which is GPL'ed, but not included in the generated
executable.  The rest of the files used to build that library, plus
the file used to build crt0.o, constitute only a handful of files,
some of which were copyrighted under the Berkeley copyright, which
imposes no restrictions.  For the remaining couple of files, which
were tiny, we rebuilt libcygwin.a using the sources of those files
from an earlier version of Cygwin32, when they did not have GPL
copyrights.

Thefore no code contained in the user's executable is covered by the
unmodified GPL (the GNAT run-time-library sources are covered by a
modified version of the GPL which permits use of the objects, without
restrictions, in user executables).