From: Ken Garlington <GarlingtonKE@lmtas.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: How to pass commandline parameters to a vax vms ada main prog
Date: 1997/01/27
Date: 1997-01-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <32E94CAC.4148@lmtas.lmco.com>, Ken Garlington <GarlingtonKE@lmtas.lmco.com> writes:
>
> > In addition to the Ada advice already posted, don't forget that you
> > will need to define your executable as a foreign command; e.g. for
> > executable TEST.EXE
> >
> > TEST :== $disk:[directory]TEST.EXE
> >
> > The dollar sign at the front is important. Then, you should be able to
> > execute TEST as a verb:
> >
> > $ TEST stuff
> >
> > and read/parse "stuff" successfully.
>
> You can get away without defining a symbol if you are willing to do more
> typing for each invocation:
>
>         $ MCR disk:[directory]TEST.EXE StUFf

However, you have to be careful with MCR, since it may not be portable.
I just tried it on my VAX, and got an error (RSX image not found). One
of the advantages of defining the image as a symbol (and, if you're
using the DCL parse routines, linking the CLD file in as an object file
vs. keeping it a separate CLD file) is that it will work just about
anywhere.

> An example of a situation where lots of typing per invocation is when
> every invocation will be from a command procedure.  The computer does
> not care.

True, although you can define a symbol in this case as well.

--
LMTAS - The Fighter Enterprise - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For job listings, other info: http://www.lmtas.com or