From: Ken Garlington <GarlingtonKE@lmtas.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Question about record rep spec placement
Date: 1997/01/18
Date: 1997-01-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert A Duff wrote:

> In article <32DE3FAD.17A1@lmtas.lmco.com>,
> Ken Garlington  <GarlingtonKE@lmtas.lmco.com> wrote:
> >We will check to see if this is the case. Is there a complete list of
> >cases
> >related to freezing occurences that are different between Ada83 and Ada?
>
> Incompatibilities are documented in the AARM.  Look at section 13.14,
> for lots of verbiage about forcing/freezing.
>
> However, I should warn you that the Ada 83 rules did not make perfect
> sense to me when I wrote the AARM stuff, so the AARM list of differences
> is probably incomplete.  How can you make a list of differences between
> two sets of rules, when you can't quite understand one set of rules?
> Note that the Ada 83 rules officially include the AI's.
>
> In any case, I'm pretty sure that the upward incompatibilities exist
> only for extremely obscure cases.  Why don't you post your code (or a
> boiled-down version of it)?  Any decent compiler will tell you which
> freezing occurrence is causing the trouble, so it shouldn't be hard to
> track this down.  I will be surprised if you've run into an upward
> incompatibility -- most likely one or the other compiler has a bug.

Unfortunately, a different group is using our Ada83 code with their Ada
compiler, and the only information I have is that they had to move rep
specs out of the private part of the package to get them to compile.
They
originally reported this to me as a bug in our Ada83 code/compiler,
which
confused me, and so I posted the question that started this thread.

I have forwarded the information you and others have posted here, and
they
are going to look at the intervening statements to see if they can see
what
is happening.  If I get more information, I will post it.

--
LMTAS - The Fighter Enterprise - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For job listings, other info: http://www.lmtas.com or