* Recommendations, please
@ 1997-01-12  0:00 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 1997-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm thinking of buying a commercial Ada compiler for Windows 95 (I've
tasted GNAT and it's too dry for my tastes), and my budget goes only
to $1,000 - $1,500. Now I know that's the middle-low range, as Ada
compilers go, but anyway, is there any product I should look to?
Ideas? Recommendations? Experiences?

Thanks a lot,

						  /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Recommendations, please
@ 1997-01-14  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <32df05a8.9685800@news.lander.es>, lektu@lander.es (Juanma Barranquero) writes:

> I'm thinking of buying a commercial Ada compiler for Windows 95 (I've
> tasted GNAT and it's too dry for my tastes), and my budget goes only
> to $1,000 - $1,500. Now I know that's the middle-low range, as Ada
> compilers go, but anyway, is there any product I should look to?

The current generation of commercial Ada compilers for Windows 95
seems to be coming out at prices well below those for Unix.  With
your operating system choice, you should be able to follow links
from www.adahome.com to compiler vendors and find that offerings
for Windows 95 are well within your budget.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Recommendations, please
@ 1997-01-14  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1997-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might check www.aonix.com and www.rrsoftware.com for their Ada 95/
Win95 compilers for even less money than you are prepared to spend.
(Or you can send me a check and I'll send you your choice, keeping
the difference ;)

* Re: Recommendations, please
@ 1997-01-17  0:00   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 1997-01-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:02:43 -0800, in 4 wonderful lines, Tom Moran
<tmoran@bix.com> said:

>You might check www.aonix.com and www.rrsoftware.com for their Ada 95/
>Win95 compilers for even less money than you are prepared to spend.

>(Or you can send me a check and I'll send you your choice, keeping
>the difference ;)

Will you give me product support? :-)

Anyway, prices are similar to what I said (somewhat cheaper).
ObjectAda Professional goes about $750 in Spain, with no upgrade
discount for future products, and Visual Ada95 is still a beta, and
goes to $895, and the production release would be more expensive, I
think.

						  /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Recommendations, please
@ 1997-01-25  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-01-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

o) writes:

> I'm thinking of buying a commercial Ada compiler for Windows 95 (I've
> tasted GNAT and it's too dry for my tastes), and my budget goes only
> to $1,000 - $1,500. Now I know that's the middle-low range, as Ada
> compilers go, but anyway, is there any product I should look to?

Well I am not quite sure what to make of "too dry", since wetness or
dryness is not a characteristic that I have thought of as being associated
with programming languages (although i would have unbderstood what you
meant it you said GNAt was "all wet") :-)

Anyway, you may want to take another look at GNAT when the new version of
GNAT for NT is publically released which should be quite soon now. The
current public version (3.04a) is at this stage very out of date.

* Re: Recommendations, please
@ 1997-01-26  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1997-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> tasted GNAT and it's too dry for my tastes), and my budget goes only
>Well I am not quite sure what to make of "too dry", since wetness or
  Perhaps 'too dry' in a message from *.es is an analogy to a taste
characteristic of wine, which may be understood by those of us in
California, but is over the heads of recipients in *.nyu.edu?
;)

* Re: Recommendations, please
@ 1997-01-26  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran said (with smiley!)

  Perhaps 'too dry' in a message from *.es is an analogy to a taste
characteristic of wine, which may be understood by those of us in
California, but is over the heads of recipients in *.nyu.edu?

I doubt that Californians have a monopoly on understanding wine, although
you may be right that they prefer their wines sweet, which I certainly
do not (unless it be a really good Sauterne with desert, I still remember
the two bottles of 1960 Chateau D'Yquem that we bought as students for
$12/bottle -- which seemed like a fortune then (if only we had known ....)

Anyway, the point is that I still can't find an analogy between programming
languages and their implementations and dryess or wetness of wines or
anything else, and I am afraid that tmoran's post does not help.

P.S. are there really any good sweet Californian wines? I never met one.
There are certainly some excellent non-sweet wines from California ...
(Hmmm! maybe that will draw some messages in French, and make Mike Feldman
feel happy).