From: Andrew Lynch <lynch@cci.de>
Subject: Re: comp.lang.ada.gnat? (was: GNAT, g77, PowerPC & AIX V4..)
Date: 1997/01/10
Date: 1997-01-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> "What's the current volume and number of subscribers of chat@gnat.com?
> If it's high enough, and people want it, I'd suggest making a
> 'comp.lang.ada.gnat' newsgroup, and possibly renaming c.l.a to
> comp.lang.ada.misc."
>
> Well we certainly intend to retain chat@gnat.com in any case, because
> lots of people DO find a mailing list more convenient, and it is certainly
> not prone to the kind of junk mail that is now appearing on all newsgroups.
> The advantage of the mailing list is that, since the signal to noise ratio
> is high, more of the GNAT folks feel like participating (almost all now
> find CLA not worth reading -- I am an exception :-)

I have been told that the Plan9 mailing list is gatewayed into the
comp.os.plan9 newsgroup, but not vice versa. Maybe a similar scheme
could be adopted for a GNAT group, ie.

mails sent to chat@gnat.com appear in eg. comp.lang.ada.gnat
but articles posted in c.l.a.g stay only in the newsgroup and do
not go out to all chat@gnat.com subscribers.

This would keep junk off the mailing list while at the same time
sharing the information on chat@gnat.com with a wider audience
(who might not want to subscribe or access a web site)

Just my DM 0.02 worth!
Andrew.