From: Mark Smith <mark@ssd.neca.nec.com.au>
Subject: Case Tools for OO (was Re: What is wrong with OO ?)
Date: 1997/01/03
Date: 1997-01-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> rmartin@oma.com (Robert C. Martin) wrote:
>
> >In article <32C88BE0.7F2B@acm.org>, i.joyner@acm.org wrote:
>
> >This is undoubtedly true.  As engineers we need a CAE system that combines
> >the CASE tool, editor, compiler, documentation tool, debugger, test plan
> >generator, simulator, etc into a single seamless facility.  We should be
> >able to browse through our design diagrams, focusing into certain points,
> >double clicking on an adornment or icon to bring up a stretch of "source code"
> >which we could edit.  Then build and debug in the same environment.
I will probably get flamed for doing this, but we are beginning to use
Rational ROSE/C++,
and I _like_ it. If you buy Apex, ROSE, and SoDA, you get the case tool,
editor, compiler, documentation,debugger all in one. The test plan
generator could be wangled from SoDA & use cases. The browse through
diagrams, double click to code works.
And it's SOOOO quick for doing design scratchings.

However, you need to put a fairly disciplined process around it. We've
had problems with
multiple solutions to the one problem, and how to combine them all into
the 'repository' model. It's a process thing, not a tool thing
necessarily.

It also does change management, which is very impressive.

> >Such a system maintain traceability between requirements, use cases, design
> >artifacts and modules.  It would maintain lists of programmer and analysts
Ah, ok. Traceability is a process thing with 3.0.6. I don't know about
4.0.

> >notes that were germane to each other.  It would facilitate communcations
> >between engineers working on the project regardless of their location.  It would
> >facilitate configuration management and version control.  It would facilitat
> >project management.
I don't think so email, and ( erk) MS-Project?

> >No such tool exists today.  I think it will be a long time before such
> >a tool does exist.  But I can dream.

Give it a try...

Anybody else got comments?