* ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-08  0:00 Grizidy
From: Grizidy @ 1996-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
Isn't it older that Bob Dole?

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-08  0:00 ` Joe & Kathy Taylor
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Joe & Kathy Taylor @ 1996-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why so frustrated?  Ada isn't good for much of anything unless you're a
serious software engineer interested in a robust and powerful language
to build an application.

Joe
Grizidy wrote:

> Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
> Isn't it older that Bob Dole?

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-12-09  0:00 ` Dan Stubbs
From: Dan Stubbs @ 1996-12-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <58f5jj$1o7@news.fsu.edu>,
Grizidy <gjs8639@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> wrote:
>Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
>Isn't it older that Bob Dole?

First of all, its Ada not ADA. Thats one tip off that you don't know
much about Ada.

Ada happens to be a terrific language. Its implementation of objects
is so much cleaner than that in C++ it is surprising anybody uses
C++ for teaching about OOP.

The current version of Ada is Ada95. I guess that makes it about one
year old. Ada's principal developer is Tucker Taft--probably one of
the top ten computer scientists in the world.

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-09  0:00 ` Dale Stanbrough
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1996-12-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
 Isn't it older that Bob Dole?"

Yes, yes, no.

Dale

p.s. oh i get it - it is a _joke_ posting. Oh - ha ha ha.

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-12-09  0:00 ` John English
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John English @ 1996-12-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Grizidy (gjs8639@garnet.acns.fsu.edu) wrote:
: Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
: Isn't it older that Bob Dole?

Speaking from a transatlantic perspective, I have sometimes suspected
that Bob Dole *was* born yesterday! :-) :-)

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je
 Dept. of Computing        | fax: (+44) 1273 642405
 University of Brighton    |

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-09  0:00 ` Jon S Anthony
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-12-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <58f5jj$1o7@news.fsu.edu> gjs8639@garnet.acns.fsu.edu (Grizidy) writes:

> Isn't it older that Bob Dole?

Not even Fortran or Lisp are that old.  However, C++ _looks_ and
_acts_ even older...

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-10  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-12-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Grizidy <gjs8639@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> wrote:
>Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
>Isn't it older that Bob Dole?"

Can I suggest that when someone posts such obvious flame bait, that people
who want to answer do so using email, rather than posting followups.
Otherwise, the baiter achieves their aim, and no doubt Grizidy is sitting
back somewhere chortling at all the traffic he managed to elicit (including
of course this post :-)

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-12-10  0:00 ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1996-12-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Grizidy wrote:

> Is there anything that ADA is good for?

Yes, defining dentrifice standards.

> Does anybody still use it?

Yes, participating dentists and hygienists.

> Isn't it older that Bob Dole?

I'm not sure when the ADA was founded, but
unless it was before the American Civil War,
chances are that Bob Dole is older.

-- Dave Wood
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
-- Aonix - "Ada with an Attitude"
-- http://www.aonix.com

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-11  0:00   ` John Strohm
From: John Strohm @ 1996-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Stubbs wrote:
> Ada's principal developer is Tucker Taft--probably one of
>the top ten computer scientists in the world.

Nope.

Tucker Taft may have been the heavy for Ada95, but Jean Ichbiah was the man
for Ada.

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-12-11  0:00 ` David Taylor
From: David Taylor @ 1996-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Grizidy wrote:

> Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
> Isn't it older that Bob Dole?
Then why are you hanging around here.  Surely you can find someplace
more suitable.

Dave Taylor

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-11  0:00   ` Robert B. Love
From: Robert B. Love  @ 1996-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jojo226

In <32AB98E2.7EA9@mail.airmail.net> Joe & Kathy Taylor wrote:
> Why so frustrated?  Ada isn't good for much of anything unless you're
> serious software engineer interested in a robust and powerful
language
> to build an application.
>
> Joe
> Grizidy wrote:
> >
> > Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
> > Isn't it older that Bob Dole?

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  The school he is from is
Half Ass U, known for football and not much in the way of engineering.

Bob Love, rlove@neosoft.com (local)        MIME & NeXT Mail OK
rlove@raptor.rmnug.org  (permanent)        PGP key available

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-28  0:00     ` john babrick
From: john babrick @ 1996-12-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
> >Isn't it older that Bob Dole?"

It is as old as people like YOU who whine about having to learn
a new and better technology. I am so tired of being on projects
where "experts" cannot accept that sotftware engineer written
Ada might be a better solution than EE written assembly code or
unstructured C. Grow up, bonehead...

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1996-12-29  0:00     ` john babrick
From: john babrick @ 1996-12-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-12-30  0:00       ` Gerald M Vrooman
From: Gerald M Vrooman @ 1996-12-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <32C568EA.7B8@earthlink.net> john babrick <antialias@earthlink.net>
writes:

>> >Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
>> >Isn't it older that Bob Dole?"
>>

>It is as old as people like YOU who whine about having to learn
>a new and better technology. I am so tired of being on projects
>where "experts" cannot accept that sotftware engineer written
>Ada might be a better solution than EE written assembly code or
>unstructured C. Grow up, bonehead...

  I have nothing personal against Ada, but a lot depends on how much
the "software engineers" know about engineering.  I once worked for a
large aerospace company where they implemented typing so strict that
the real engineers were not allowed to divide pounds by square inches.
It made it a little difficult to compute psi.<g>

                      Jerry Vrooman

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1997-01-02  0:00         ` Mike Paley
From: Mike Paley @ 1997-01-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article: <5a77j5$3nh@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>
gvrooman@ix.netcom.com(Gerald M Vrooman) writes:
:) I once worked for a
:) large aerospace company where they implemented typing so strict that
:) the real engineers were not allowed to divide pounds by square inches.
:) It made it a little difficult to compute psi.<g>

A good unit for measuring the cost of office floor space <bg>.

Ada, worthless - is that why it's free ? - And that could be why
universities use it !

--
Comm again, Mike.

If I have offended anyone, please accept my apologies. To prevent this
re-occurring, next time you read one of my posts, wear a blindfold.

Ex Turnpike user.

If you want to see the rest of this sig. file or find out more about me,
have a look at http://www.paley.demon.co.uk/ [1996:11:30]

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1997-01-04  0:00   ` talarson
From: talarson @ 1997-01-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dstubbs@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu (Dan Stubbs) wrote:

>In article <58f5jj$1o7@news.fsu.edu>,
>Grizidy <gjs8639@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> wrote:
>>Is there anything that ADA is good for?  Does anybody still use it?
>>Isn't it older that Bob Dole?
>>

>First of all, its Ada not ADA. Thats one tip off that you don't know
>much about Ada.

>Ada happens to be a terrific language. Its implementation of objects
>is so much cleaner than that in C++ it is surprising anybody uses
>C++ for teaching about OOP.

>The current version of Ada is Ada95. I guess that makes it about one
>year old. Ada's principal developer is Tucker Taft--probably one of
>the top ten computer scientists in the world.

From the subject line, it appears that Grizidy doesn't know much
about the English language either.

* Re: ADA is the most worthless language
@ 1997-01-14  0:00           ` Sreedhar Chintalapaty
From: Sreedhar Chintalapaty @ 1997-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would say it was probably a bad _data abstraction_ decision.
A language merely _expresses_ an algorithm, right? If my _design_
fails to capture my requirements, can I blame the language? I
guess not - it would be just like the Indian proverb - 'blaming the
tabla because he did not know how to play it'!

> In article: <5a77j5$3nh@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>
> gvrooman@ix.netcom.com(Gerald M Vrooman) writes:
> I once worked for a
> large aerospace company where they implemented typing so strict that
> the real engineers were not allowed to divide pounds by square inches.
> It made it a little difficult to compute psi.<g>

 SREEDHAR CHINTALAPATY		      1555, FairLane Dr. Ste.300
 SDRC - PIM Deployment		              AllenPark MI 48101
 Phone: 313.317.6098       mailto:Sreedhar.Chintalapaty@sdrc.com
 WWW: http://www.ee.memphis.edu/~sreedhar/Upanisad/upanisad.html

     Computers don't solve problems, they execute solutions