From: Dave Wood <dpw@thomsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Reasons NOT To Choose Ada
Date: 1996/12/11
Date: 1996-12-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jon S Anthony wrote:

> In article <58hgs4$s0e@news.structured.net> cts@alpinet.com (Craig Spannring) writes:
>
> > jsa@alexandria (Jon S Anthony) wrote:

> > >Another point worth mentioning in this context is that the $595 price
> > >for ObjectAda is for the _professional_ version (even includes
> > >ClearCase CMS for crying out loud).  The _personal_ version (which
> > >doesn't look too toy like either) is $245.  As pointed out below, to
> > >get a _professional_ level MSVC++ is over the $1000.00 mark (last I
> > >looked) - and I _believe_ the compiler is the same piece of rubbish as
> > >what you get for the $600.00.
> >
> > Note I said, "I'm being paid to do C++" and "toy to use at home".  I
> > think that $595 is a very low price, but since my employer has no
> > interest in Ada I would only be able to use it for my own pet
> > projects.  Since _I_ could only use it for playing at home, (nobody is
> > offering to pay me for Ada code), $595 could better be used for
> > upgrading my mountain bike, getting a new pair of skis, etc.  Now if
> > someone were to offer to pay me to write Ada code I'd order a copy
> > before you could even blink.
>
> Fair enough.  I mean I don't even _have_ a computer at home - can't
> stand the things actually, ;^).  But, if it is just to "fool around
> with", then the personal edition should be fine.  Of course, it's
> probably just as likely that the $245 would be more fun spent on xxx
> too.  In fact, given this caveat I'm not convinced even a _free_
> version would be "worth it".

True enough.  I recently bought a new PC and it came loaded with about
two dozen "free" CDs with games and such.  I won't even spend the time
to install most of it - I hardly see my kids as it is.  The last thing
I'm going to do in my spare time is spend an hour downloading an Ada
compiler at 28.8 just for the joy of compiling.

"Ada as a toy" is an interesting concept, probably reserved for the
kind of psycho engineers who work for Ada vendors.

(Just kidding, guys, really!!!  You know I luv ya!!!)

-- Dave Wood
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
-- Aonix - "Ada with an Attitude"
-- http://www.aonix.com

p.s.  By the way, you get a version of ObjectAda for free if
you buy Mike Feldman's book at your local bookstore.